The Horse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has had any luck with any devices to keep possums out of their barns? We do night sneak attacks but still find them. Would like something that rodents could only hear. Plus, not to run off cats, dogs, or sensitive to horse's ears!

·
Registered
49 Posts
The only sure fire way is to trap them. If you are opposed to "disposing" of them, then take them several miles away and release them. There used to be a product that flashed small red lights that were supposed to mimic predatory animals but it never worked for me. The possums and raccoons just ignored it.

·
Super Moderator
13,086 Posts
Make sure there is no accessible food source and that your feed room is clean so not to attract possums or rodents. You can put out predator urine to help determine them just make sure it isn't in an area that disturbs or spooks your animals. Make sure water trough and buckets are not accessible and keep them clean and disinfected.

·
Registered
687 Posts
We had great success with a plug-in device in our lean-to that emitted a sound that only rodents can hear. After we installed it, our lean-to/ tack and feed room combo were rodent free! We purchased it at Ace Hardware.
I don’t know if it would work on opossums but I think it’s worth a try. It was reasonably priced too.

·
Administrator
36,324 Posts
We used to have a feral cat that had to be trapped and sedated whenever we had to do anything medication related to it.

I realize that sounds off topic, but it used to take us days or weeks to get that cat in the trap because a possum would always get in it first.
In the morning we’d have an empty dish of cat food and a sleeping possum in the trap.

You have the option then to either dispatch them as humanely as possible or take them for a ride in your vehicle and release them somewhere several miles away.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
If you ever catch a baby possum.....they make awesome pets
Can we send them all to you LOL? I was ticked off to find a baby in Moonshine's empty water bucket. It had pooped in there, too. I don't know, maybe it's not an issue where you live, but I ended up getting her a new water bucket. I just dumped the baby out gently near a pile of pallets, and it scurried happily into them. But I found some more poop in my tack area a few days ago. If I had had some humane way to ensure that the critter never came back to my barn, I'd have done it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
If you ever catch a baby possum.....they make awesome pets
I love possums too! We have a little one who comes to eat under the bird feeder that my hubby named “Sweet Potato”.
Cool fact about possums: they can’t get rabies. Their body temperature is too low for the virus to incubate.

·
Super Moderator
13,086 Posts
They are one of nature's tick control agents.

·
Registered
10,946 Posts
Can we send them all to you LOL? I was ticked off to find a baby in Moonshine's empty water bucket. It had pooped in there, too. I don't know, maybe it's not an issue where you live, but I ended up getting her a new water bucket. I just dumped the baby out gently near a pile of pallets, and it scurried happily into them. But I found some more poop in my tack area a few days ago. If I had had some humane way to ensure that the critter never came back to my barn, I'd have done it.
I would have bought a new water bucket, too😂

Years ago, we trapped and moved an opossum two miles down the road - as in two miles all downhill to the creek.

Several days later, the opossum had almost made it back to my barn but it got hit by a vehicle. I know it was the same one we relocated because it had a unique mark on its head.

Two miles down hill is not far enough to relocate them🙄

1 - 10 of 10 Posts