The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i am taking English riding lessons For awhile Now but my instructor says i post to high how do i fix that to post low please if you have any tips let me know
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Easy.. make a concious effort to post smaller. Your post should be more of a forward and back, not an up and down.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Just let it come natural. but when you do go forward, go forward about halfway to help you get a little lower. Your hips shouldn't pass over your knees.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Kind of.
You post with the outside leg as it goes forward, then sit back when his hoof hits the ground and moves back.
So when you go forward, kind of stand up in your stirrups then sit back down. Then just repeat. You just stand up - going forward not up - to where your hips are level with your knees would be the farthest you would want to go.

Correct me if I am wrong - that is the way I was taught.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Are you pushing off the stirrups? One should only post as high as the horses impulsion "throws" you in the air. Any higher and you're doing it wrong. :)
Unless you are using the rise to either slow the horse or to length or shorten it's stride. If you rise bigger then it will encourage a longer stride when combined with a stable seat and core muscles. nothing wrong with a full rise as long as it is in time with the horse and in accordance with what you want to do.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
my instructor says i post to high but im on the right diagonal
Really I wouldn't worry about it :) my dressage instructor make me rise the full distance, so there are different views, if you feel that you rise too high then drop your stirrups a hole or two.

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
What type of riding are you doing in the discipline of english? Show jumping, hunters, or dressage?

You need shorter stirrups for the first time sub-categories and longer ones for dressage.

To me it sounds like you are using your feet to rise instead of the horse's motion and your core.

Posting is a diagonal hip movement when you rise your seat bones come from the center of the saddle and travel diagonally upward till they are just over the pommel of your saddle (or just behind your hands)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.