The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, sales seem to have dried up a bit in my area, but have got into contact with this one. (Even then, three hours away and over the border, haha)

What are your thoughts as a potential mid-level (3rd-4th level) dressage horse? This horse is currently schooling level 1.

I'm a little concerned about her hip... if it looks too weak? Or maybe her back is long, or loins are weak? Something seems strange to me.

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
It's not a great photo for evaluating confo, her hind end is angled away from the camera, which is making her quarter appear shorter/weaker than in really is.

I see exactly the same thing you do, btw, but I really wonder how much of it was produced by the camera angle. The underlying structure of her hind end is good, it's just that it looks out of proportion to the front end.

The front end is lovely, with a terrific shoulder angle and a wonderful neck set for a dressage horse. Good cannon to forearm ratio, nice flat clean knees, good pastern angles.

At the very least contact the seller and get a decent set of photos or a vid of her moving to help you decide whether it's worth the trip to go see her.

·
Banned
5,526 Posts
Okay, sales seem to have dried up a bit in my area, but have got into contact with this one. (Even then, three hours away and over the border, haha)

What are your thoughts as a potential mid-level (3rd-4th level) dressage horse? This horse is currently schooling level 1.

I'm a little concerned about her hip... if it looks too weak? Or maybe her back is long, or loins are weak? Something seems strange to me.

It will probably do level 3 or maybe 4 but I suspect the scores may be disappointing.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be honest, I don't care about winning. I just want to be able to ride at that level at the best of my and my horse's ability. But nor do I want to force a horse that just isn't simply built for it.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Her hind end looks a little weak to me, and from the video, she doesn't use it to collect herself, she hasn't yet learned "true" collection, IMO. And her front end, when trotting, seems to be a little short strided, and to 'up and down' if you get what I mean..

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
No fluidity to her movement at all. Might be the way she goes, might be the way she's being ridden, but even if the latter, you'd need to do a lot of work reschooling and who knows what you'll get. Doesn't look as if she has much natural suspension and engagement.

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
she doesn't use it to collect herself, she hasn't yet learned "true" collection
??? nor should she have, at the level she's currently working.

If you're using "collection" in it's dressage sense, it's entirely appropriate for this horse to not be working in collection, as it's at Training level.

Teamfire, based on the video, I would say your initial impresson from the photo is accurate - she does seem to lack something behind. She also seems to lack the forwardness and fluidity I would like to see at her level of training.

She might very well make a nice Training or First Level horse, but I agree with Spyder, I think she'll struggle to do much more than that.

So if your goal is to move farther up the levels, I might keep looking.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Happy123 says that (I believe so at least) because backing builds muscle in the hips and top line:p
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
This horse is straight legged behind and her hocks are set a bit high. That conformation limits her ability to collect and curl and shift her weight to the rear. It limits her ability to reach under herself.

She has a terrific front but falls apart behind. Her motor is weak.. she has a V 8 front but the engine is.. well a Four cylinder.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. Someone also pointed out something wonky is going on with her front hooves, especially the right, so moving on.

Sigh.

And just double-checking, for a green owner it is a stupid idea to get an unbroken horse and get it professionally started, right?

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
And just double-checking, for a green owner it is a stupid idea to get an unbroken horse and get it professionally started, right?
I see nothing wrong with this as long as you work under the trainer yourself. It depends on the horse, The right one will come to you.

All my horses came to me young. I got them as weanlings or yearlings and then at 2 years they were sent to the trainer to be started. Brought home after 30 days of 5-6 training sessions a week, we were very pleased. A year later we sent them back for a refresher 30 days and I've never had any issues with my horses.

My first horse was a yearling. Second horse was a weanling. I worked under a wonderful trainer and a great horse mentor, my aunt.

I would actually prefer to get an unbroken horse, spend lots of time on the ground with him, get the manners a horse should have down pat, send em to a trainer, work with the trainer and take lessons. That way, I'm not buying someone else's problems and mistakes.

It's completely up to you. Like I said, you'll meet the right horse, and you'll know. Whether it's young or older. :)

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
It may or may not be a stupid idea, but it's an expensive idea.

You will have more money in the horse that the horse will be worth or can be sold for in fairly short order.

If you have a trainer that you have a good relationship with and trust, and can but some parameters in place, it could work out as ClaPorte said, but it will still be an expensive way to get a made horse.

I'm just curious - if you're a green owner, is it realistic for you to be looking for a horse than can advance up the levels and make it to 3rd or 4th Level or should you be looking for a solid lower level horse to start you off? Or are you a green owner, but not a green rider?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just seems that right now I'm looking at horses at around 5-6k that are not what I want, or are good but with vices or health problems. And then I've come across with good horses with proven dressage bloodlines at 1 or 2k, but unstarted. If I'm willing to pay the 5-6k, why not put the rest of the money to start a good horse? I'm paying for training, either way.

Green owner, not green rider. I'm intermediate level, I guess. I already play with 1st and 2nd level stuff, but I'm fairly confident I can advance to 3rd with consistency.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.