The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted some thoughts on a few horses I might look at. I am looking for a trail/camping mount. I have ridden for 19+ years, but I am basically looking for something you'd put a beginnger on as I injured my neck recently and am very very nervous even getting on a horse. I looked at a horse last night, was told it was "bombproof" which apparently means "insane" haha. No one could have convinced me to get on him.
Anyways here are the potentials:

1). 18 yro appy gelding. 15 hands. Was used as a kids horse, but kids are gone. He was used mostly as a trail horse, no spook, bolt, rear, etc. Sound, no issues. I can't see anything majorly wrong with him as far as conformation.

2.) 12 yr old AQHA mare. 15.1. Quiet, not spooky. Used as a trail horse, very confident on the trails. No buck, bolt, rear. Her ad: Quarter Horse For Sale, New Jersey, Howell

Both of these are almost 2 hours away. I haven't found much locally in my price range, i'm being extremely picky too though! Found one other horse, sounded perfect, but when I got the photos of him he was sooo sooo skinny. Which is probably the reason he is so quiet, its hard to say.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Not related to your question - just wanted to say I love your avatar photo.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I am going to be seeing the app on saturday at some point. He sounds really nice, quiet and laid back. They have had him for 10 years. I haven't seen any recent pics of him. Heres a couple the owner sent of him. I don't see him being a show horse, but for what I want to do he seems perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hopefully he looks good in recent pics too, but I'd definitely want some if I were you since a lot can change in four years.

I guess you'll know what he looks like tomorrow, since you'll see him in person.

Don't forget your camera like I did yesterday when I went to look at a horse :oops:.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Both horses sound good. I like the looks of the Appy. He has a nice eye and looks to be very comfortable under saddle. The only thing that concerns me about the mare is part of the description that says
If you are a mare person then Eve is for you
That can mean a lot of things and, in particular, that she can get mareish when in season.

Were it me, I would prefer the gelding.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Went and looked at the gelding today. He was really nice, just extremely fat haha. He was quiet, but not dead. Neck reined nicely, great stop. I didn't really get to ride him much, we were late and the people were in a hurry, I felt a little bad. He seemed like he had a really good mind though I only got one sorta decent pic of him, his standing in a couple holes. My photographer was slacking. Not badly built, hes got good bone and a short back.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
oo gosh.... well, he won't win beauty contests yet,lol! Try the mare,too, then pick. And if you don't like either, keep looking! :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha, I certainly don't mind his looks. I liked the horse, my only huge issue is that he was saddled and been lunged BEFORE I got there. He hadn't been ridden since last summer apparently, and lunging would have been perfectly okay with me IF they had waited and did it while I was there. I guess anyone could have done that, I wouldn't have known if his chest hadn't been a little bit sweaty. I'm just not sure if I should take a second look or just pass on him. I had asked for a trial on him, but they said no. :?

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
Haha, I certainly don't mind his looks. I liked the horse, my only huge issue is that he was saddled and been lunged BEFORE I got there. He hadn't been ridden since last summer apparently, and lunging would have been perfectly okay with me IF they had waited and did it while I was there. I guess anyone could have done that, I wouldn't have known if his chest hadn't been a little bit sweaty. I'm just not sure if I should take a second look or just pass on him. I had asked for a trial on him, but they said no. :?
Try him again. If you try more than once, then a trial may not be as big, as long as yout ell them that YOU want to saddle him and longe him! Some people don't like to trial because a) its a low price or b) it may be a hassle if the horse gets hurt under your care before you officially buy it, or c) both a and b.
:) Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I don't sale many, thankfully, I've never really been sure the best way to go about it, if I was waiting on someone I am likely to mess w/ the horse while I wait, may include lunging if I felt he needed it. And if they were in a hurry and felt he'd need to be longed before being rode, they may have desided there just wasn't time to wait and lunge if you were going to be able to ride at all. I really don't know, for me I like to be completely ready, have the horse up and groomed, and tacked, but apparently that is a red flag for many.

I can also understand not wanting to do a trial, w/ a very trusted friend maybe, but there are so many screw balls out there, I wouldn't want to hand my horse over to a stranger. (although I did agree to once, but when they came to pick him up, they desided to forget it and just buy him)

So if you like him, I'd see him again, only show up about 1/2 hour early, and try to plan for a day the owners don't have something else going on (so no rush).

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thought about it overnight, and just decided to pass on the gelding. I just don't feel right about him. I guess I liked him, I just wasn't exhited about him ya know? I am going to look at another mare this afternoon, just found her yesterday and shes pretty local. She sounds wonderful and is very very cute.

·
Registered
150 Posts
BIG red flag whenever a horse is saddled and/or lunged before you get there. Sounds like you want something you can just hop on and go and he should be able to sit and not have to be worked. I'm glad you passed on him. He wasn't much of a looker anyway. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.