The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've currently got the sleepy sillies because I've been up all night (mostly reading horse forum threads). I thought I would share something my horse does that I find helpful and funny. When Nova is in her stall, she always "goes" in the same place, the back left corner of her stall. It works out perfectly for anyone cleaning out stalls since the door is on the front left. She also likes to lay down in her stall sometimes, and she never rolls in her potty area, so it doesn't get on her blanket (yay)! Is this common? Any other horse I've been around is an indiscriminate pooper.

·
Registered
570 Posts
My trainers horse does that aswell , also in the back left corner. She's the only one over seen do it though. Makes clean up much easier!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Yes, some horses are very neat and make great stall keepers while others don't. We have 8 horses. My Shire cross mare, my grandfather's Colorado Ranger mare and my mom's two Gypsy Vanner geldings are very neat. The Gypsies are especially funny because they will poop in one communal pile in their pasture or paddock too. It makes for great, easy clean up! We have 2 Thoroughbred mares and one Appaloosa mare that are moderately messy. They don't always go in the same place but they don't always walk or lay in it. It just depends on the day. The one thoroughbred mare has pooped in her water bucket a handful of times. I'm not sure why. My Appaloosa gelding is a pig all the time. He makes a large pee puddle in the middle of the stall, poops all around the edge and then walks around in it until it's well-stirred.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I just love it when a horse uses only one corner for manure, make stall cleaning easy. I have had horses like that but right now the 2 we have just go anywhere and then walk it around in the stall. One mare I had would do this and if she was outside in a paddock only use one corner and also if she was out in the pasture with an open door to her stall, I have seen her trot up from the pasture go in her stall to urinate then trot back out to the pasture.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yep, one of mine is a total pig, pooping everywhere including where he eats and another only goes in the corner!! I've noticed that mares have a tendency to be neater but they all have such different personalities-it's amazing!!:D

·
Registered
768 Posts
My mare was the same way. She always pooped and peed in the same spot. It made that particular spot really nasty but was really easy cleanup haha.

She also refused to poop in her stall. She had a stall with a run and if the weather was bad she just stuck her butt out the door and left a nice pile right outside the doorway. haha!

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Many are this way due to dam, if she was tidy, they usually are too.

And these are the best to take care of.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
My gelding is very neat in his stall at home- poops along the back wall, pees on one spot on the side away from the door, and sleeps on the side in front of the door.

Unfortunately when I take him to shows he doesn't keep up the same pattern (I guess it takes him a little while to decide where each spot should be :-?) so I always have to make sure I have some extra time in the morning to spot clean him :lol:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
My horses crap wherever they want to. The only time my horses have been stalled was during fair. But he crapped everywhere, in his hay, on his blanket, on his hocks (which was terrible because he is white) and just anywhere he finds is a good place. But he pees in the same spot.....

·
Registered
383 Posts
I am very grateful to have a neat freak for a horse. He only poops in the back left corner, and pees on the left in the middle. It takes me about 2 minutes to clean his stall out. The rest of the horses at my barn? Different story. There are a few that are on the neat side, some that are average, then we have eight that are total pigs. They go wherever they want, as much as they want, then prance around in their stalls until it's a big mud hole. Two of them drink like camels, then stand in their stalls and pee all night long, then refuse to walk in the middle where they pee'd, so the outside gets worn down into a track and the middle pushes up like a mountain emerging from the earth. It's horrific.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts