The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My baby is at that point: potty training. I won't lie, I've been dreading potty training since she was born. I'd like to know what methods worked for your kid(s). She's 26 months now. It's been a few weeks since I've tried any potty training, so I think it's time... maybe. Here's what I've done so far:

She has a potty seat that goes on the regular toilet. She's used to sitting on it, and will actually sit for quite a long time, that's something we've worked on. I usually read to her while she's on the potty. Occasionally, she asks me to take her to the potty, and then just says, "book? book? book?" over and over until I've read every book she owns (so she's using it as a way to get me to read to her, which I don't mind lol).

My SIL and MIL used the bare butt method with their kids. I tried this on her. She had an accident in three different places with zero awareness that it was happening. If she'd just said "uh oh!" or some kind of recognition that she was peeing, then I would have continued, but nothing like that happened. She has peed on the potty a few times successfully, but again, no recognition that it happened, and didn't seem to get why I was making a big deal, but she was excited to flush the toilet and wash her hands.

As far as signs of potty training readiness: she only tells me 50% of the time when she's done #2. The other times I find out by smell or by changing a full diaper. She shows no interest in what I do on the toilet. I'm honestly not sure if she does "stay dry" for 2 hours. I think she doesn't more often than she does, but occasionally I have found her with a mostly dry diaper after a couple hours (that's usually when she's been restricted to water only, and not watered down juice or milk). She does follow simple directions.

One method I haven't tried yet is putting underwear beneath her pull-up, so she can feel when she's wet. She does already wear pull-ups instead of diapers, because diaper change is a game to her and it's much easier to wrestle her into a pull-up than trying to keep her still while doing the diaper tabs (I never made it a game, that was all her, lol. I try not to encourage her in this, but just the act of me calmly catching her to change her diaper encourages her in playing this game).

I'm just not sure she's ready for potty, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm just trying to learn from others what's worked for them. Also, what age was your child when they potty trained? If you know how old they were in months, that would be more helpful (most friends and family have just said '2', but 24 months is very different from 28 months or 32 months, etc, which is still 2).

So advice please, and thank you. :pinkunicorn:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am no expert on children and have never raised a child. But I remember when my little sister was a toddler we had a potty chair behind a big overstuffed chair. It was next to the refrigerator and we could see it from the dining table. Sure enough, when Elisa would eat she would have to go and start squirming. We would direct her to go to the potty chair and the whole family would cheer when she did something. After a couple of weeks of this she started opening the refrigerator door and pull it against the arm chair to block the view for privacy.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I waited until my daughter was older and was more aware of what she was doing. Frankly I wasn't in any rush to get her potty trained. I always felt like, if we were out and about, I'd rather have her in a diaper than have to be finding a clean bathroom on super short notice. I don't remember exactly when we started her, but I'm thinking it was when she had just turned three.

Also, to be terribly honest, although she would pee in her little potty, she wouldn't poop. I don't know why. I ended up bribing her with cookies, just for that one thing. It was those really good Girl Scout cookies -- the ones with the chocolate and coconut. No surprise, looking back on it, that I also used to bribe Pony with cookies. That's my parenting skills in a nutshell.

·
Super Moderator
13,661 Posts
I have a boy...not sure if it makes a difference or not.
I actually "trained" successfully overnight first then worked for the daytime hours.

Bottles and drinks were limited to not after a certain time so we had a better chance of success.
I woke up my son and swooped him out of bed and dashed for the bathroom quickly to allow him to urinate in the tiolet/potty seat.
He had to have some body function control and ability to recognize if he wet himself or not...not always telling me but he knew.
It took not long to have dry nights...
It took longer for days and accidents were common at first... then less and less.

We did not have pull-ups in disposable diapers styles.
What we had when my son was in diapers was cloth if you chose.
Disposables in Pampers, Luvs and Huggies brand or store brand...
One diaper for both sexes, they were white with sometimes a sexless design on the strip where the tabs secured.
Gentle elastic on the legs of Luvs or Huggies, Pampers I hated cause they leaked, period.
So no pull-ups existed, period.
What we did have was cloth training pants and rubber pants to go over to keep soiling of clothes, etc..to a minimum.
A child in training pants...they feel the wet against their skin but are not sitting in a puddle either...
My son was about 2 1/2 years of age maybe a bit older so had more muscle development and awareness of what his body was doing.

I was a stay at home mom for the first 5 years of life so I got to watch all the nieces and nephews as baby/toddlers and it was me who did the potty training run..
I found if the child was ready it was easy and not take long..
If it was to soon, it was a nightmare and fighting match...
I didn't even try though till we were at least 2 1/2 years and interest from them was shown in them being diaper wet or spoiled, pretty big girl/boy pants waiting for them. Then it was super heroes or My Little Pony or such designs to motivate the kids.

I know day-cares frown on having to do diaper changes, but kids need to work on such tasks as they physically are ready.
Potty training is a lot more muscle control and strength than you realize.
The child needs to be able to isolate those muscles and work them to go potty at their will, not randomly...big concept and physical development stage...
To me, if the child brings to your attention they are wet or dirty you have a huge headstart to a easy task..
If they aren't aware, save your energies and frustrations cause to me its to soon to start.

The attitude you described to me says your daughter is to young yet... :|
I do wish you good luck.
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys so much. I've been feeling like she wasn't ready, but have felt the pressure from several of my (female) relatives to start potty training her. You guys have given me the confidence I so badly needed. My little girl is very smart and very advanced for her age, and has let me know when she is ready for stuff, so I'm sure potty training won't be any different.

Reactions: JoBlueQuarter

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Thank you guys so much. I've been feeling like she wasn't ready, but have felt the pressure from several of my (female) relatives to start potty training her.
I was just about to tell you that your girl probably just needs a little longer. My relatives all live overseas, so I had no pressure from that side - or at least it is easy to turn off skype when needed :wink:
I waited with both children until they were aware that they needed to go and they actually showed interest in using the potty - I think it took about 3 days each to become dry and just have occasional accidents. If you start earlier, you just "train" much longer...

·
Registered
239 Posts
So we did something completely different to everyone here in that we followed elimination communication from when our children were newborn, which is were you are aware to their signs they are going to pee/poop and hold them over a little potty to go. Not getting into a debate on EC (already had plenty of comments at the time), it worked wonderfully for us, and was no more time or commitment (in fact less, because we also used cloth/washable diapers so it was less washing). Both our kids 100% self toilet trained at about 18 months and never had an accident after that.

Anyway, if it was me, I would just take the pressure off 100% and just look for signs that your daughter needs to pee or poop. Once you are getting the hang of recognizing those signs, pop her on the potty at those times, and that will hopefully start with helping her recognize those signs. Often they need to pee or poo not long after certain meals, after a long nap or first thing in the morning, or they might get in a certain position or have certain behavior.

·
Super Moderator
26,360 Posts
Mine kind of did it on his own. I mean, I put him in pull-ups but it was one of the few things he made easy for me...

·
Registered
14,164 Posts
I don't actually recommend the way my niece got potty trained but it was effective for her. She was a little over 2 but not much. Her parents were just adamant that she was going to by God potty train. So when they dropped her off at my house, she and I both got frustrated because, I think we both felt obligated to continue the losing battle but neither really had any interest in it. I'd feed her a meal and 20 mins later set her on the pot. I'd feed her a snack and set her on the pot. Wake her from a nap and set her on the pot. And frequently, come next meal or snack time, she was still sitting there. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we read every book in the house too. No results.

WELL!! They dropped her off for a weekend stay and within 24 hrs. we both had come down with the flu. Full on, snot slingin', toilet huggin', and end swappin' flu. We were both so miserable and stinky, it became a 'thing' to make it to the pot on time for BOTH of us and to pick the right end to put on the pot first. By the end of the weekend, she was fully potty trained because those nasty diapers were just SO gross! I would barf while trying to clean her up and that would gross her out even more. She never once after that had an accident. When it came time for her baby brother, SHE put herself in charge of getting him to get with the program. LOL! She was DONE with nasty diapers for her or anyone else. I kind of feel sorry for her kids, ya know?

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
My baby is at that point: potty training. I won't lie, I've been dreading potty training since she was born. I'd like to know what methods worked for your kid(s). She's 26 months now.

I'm just not sure she's ready for potty, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm just trying to learn from others what's worked for them. Also, what age was your child when they potty trained? If you know how old they were in months, that would be more helpful (most friends and family have just said '2', but 24 months is very different from 28 months or 32 months, etc, which is still 2).

All children are different and really, 24 months is on the EARLY end of the spectrum to start potty training. Sounds like your daughter is not ready.

I have a 4 year old daughter and a 2 1/2 year old son. My daughter switched daycares when she was about 2 1/2. Went from an in-home daycare (that was not doing any potty training; we were trying at home) to a center, and my daughter was probably potty trained in about 2 months. She very rarely has an accident. I haven't even had a pull up on her in years. She was so super easy to potty train.

Potty training isn't going as easy for the son. He mostly goes at daycare but rarely will go at home. But you know what? I'm not making a big deal about it. When he's ready, he will be ready. Sure, it would be really handy to have him out of diapers and going on the potty consistently, but I'm absolutely fine with him figuring it out. I know that he goes easily at daycare because there are other children there and they all take turns going. That's a different situation than at home, where he doesn't have all his friends going first.

I ask him all the time if he needs to go, and he usually says "no". LOL. Then 2 minutes later his diaper is wet. Whatever. Sometimes he wants to go sit on the potty and sometimes he does. If he does, of course, lots of praise, high fives, and a couple Reses Pieces candy (not ashamed to bribe!)

Maybe after he turns 3 I might start pushing it a little more. But for now, he's fine and I'm not going to stress myself out about it (or him). It'll come.

·
Registered
239 Posts
WELL!! They dropped her off for a weekend stay and within 24 hrs. we both had come down with the flu. Full on, snot slingin', toilet huggin', and end swappin' flu. We were both so miserable and stinky, it became a 'thing' to make it to the pot on time for BOTH of us and to pick the right end to put on the pot first. By the end of the weekend, she was fully potty trained because those nasty diapers were just SO gross! I would barf while trying to clean her up and that would gross her out even more. She never once after that had an accident. When it came time for her baby brother, SHE put herself in charge of getting him to get with the program. LOL! She was DONE with nasty diapers for her or anyone else. I kind of feel sorry for her kids, ya know?
How is she with vomiting now? We had a similar bug when my oldest DD was about 3 and now she is extremely emetophobic (she is 12 now). She has full on panic attacks if someone even says they feel unwell/sick, have a sore stomach, or if they cough/gags while eating. She had never really been unwell or been around people vomiting before that point.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I really didn't bother much about it but my daughter kind of did it herself and it was very early for her, by 18 mon she was out of diapers.
THe one thing that might have helped her was that as we lived in the country, not many neighbours I would let her go around outside with no diapers and I think when she stopped to pee etc she could see what was happening so she knew what it felt like when she had to go and this helped her to head for the potty when it was time.
I wouldn't worry too much about it and just let it happen when it does. Just hope it happens before it's time to start school:smile:

I remember one time we were planning a day trip, she was out of diapers by then but still under 2 years and I wanted her to wear a diaper because there were no bathrooms for a long time and I thought it was save an accident. WELL she was very angry with me and of course did not need the diaper and when we got home she told me very firmly that I was not to do that to her again. I listened to her and do not do it again.

·
Super Moderator
11,257 Posts
Naked with liquid running down your legs seems to be a big incentive to train. That and for these boys a fence to pee on.

·
Registered
14,164 Posts
How is she with vomiting now? We had a similar bug when my oldest DD was about 3 and now she is extremely emetophobic (she is 12 now). She has full on panic attacks if someone even says they feel unwell/sick, have a sore stomach, or if they cough/gags while eating. She had never really been unwell or been around people vomiting before that point.
We're neither of us that bad but we're both "sympathy barfers". If someone starts to gag or vomit, better have a couple extra buckets.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Naked with liquid running down your legs seems to be a big incentive to train. That and for these boys a fence to pee on.
Actually that didn't happen there would be a little stream going out away from her and she would stop to observe and I would say that's pee pee and we would go on with what we were doing. In my defence I will have to say I didn't take her out like that in the winter just in the hot summer time.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again everyone for the advice and support!

·
Registered
48,585 Posts
@DreamCatcherArabians I wish I could 'unread' your post.

Brings back memories of when I foolishly ate some 'potato chips' off a Mexican street vendo. NEVER do this.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts