The Horse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m wondering if anyone has fed poulin grain and if so, what is your opinion of it. I’m currently feeding my horse tribute kalm n ez but have to order it online because it’s not available anywhere in my area. I keep my horse at my friends house and the delivery driver is afraid of my friends dogs and just throws the boxes down the driveway and that causes the boxes and bags to get damaged and the bags have gotten ripped before which causes feed loss. I have decided to look for something different that is comparable that I can buy locally and one of those options is Poulin E-Tec carb safe which is what I’m leaning towards. I just want to hear other people’s experiences with Poulin feed and if it’s something you would recommend

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
I’ve never fed Poulin grains but this looks pretty decent - especially given the predicament you’re in:)

1. No added iron which is GREAT.

2. They have a fixed formula which is FANTASTIC.

3. First named ingredient is soy hulls but my understanding is soy hulls are safe for metabolic horses. Second named is alfalfa meal, so they must be using both of these as their protein sources.

Soybean oil is fifth so it should be ok unless you know for sure your horse is reactive to soy.

Zero added molasses which is also great but may negatively affect the flavor; hopefully your horse is not a picky eater or they have added a flavoring your horse finds appealing:)

4. Of the three essential amino acids horses need, threonine is missing but unless you’re horse has muscle issues, from Cushings, PSSM, tying up, etc. that shouldn’t be a deal breaker.

You can always add an amino acid product if need be.

5. I can’t find where they have ever had a recall on any of their feeds. The company is still family owned, therefore one can hope business ethics are a lot better than some of the bigger feed manufacturers.

6. you can always switch your horse over with idea, if this doesn’t work, go to Plan C, which is still TBD but have something in mind just in case:)

·
Super Moderator
15,477 Posts
Regardless of what feed you decide to go with make very sure the "line", the facility it is made at does not do medicated feed for cattle or poultry on site or on that line, EVER!!
I refer specifically to the group of added called monesin products that a trace amount get in horse feed will kill them.
Yes, it is that serious and deadly...a gruesome terrible ordeal by the time you realize what has happened.
I do not feed anything from anyone unknown that the line is clean, clear and that product not used nor even on the property for those oops moments that occur....not to my horse it doesn't!
There are small feed companies owned by larger companies under local names that have had oops to many times...
Know if who you use is independently owned or who owns them as a the "parent" company...
The culprit every-time came back to the monesin family of cattle/poultry additive for feed that remnants/trace amounts left behind.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Yep, my mares are all on ETech Balancer and my oldest retired mare also gets Senior Low Carb. Awhile ago now I ran their diet (including hay analysis and supplements) through FeedXL and felt good about how it all balanced with these feeds. The ETech is fed to the easy keepers in really small quantities so a bag lasts. The horses all eat it right up, but there are no picky eaters here 😉

In addition to the horses doing well on it, I like that Poulin is family owned, easily available where I am (VT), and seems to be a “good citizen” by contributing to horsey causes in the region.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Looks to be a good feed, I'd feed it if I was looking for a feed. The no iron added is great no molasses also great. Like it has ingredients that are not just byproducts. Great it's a fixed formula.

Have never seen poulin horse feeds being recalled for monensin poisoning,like some of the other big name feeds brands.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts