The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been working with my mustang colt and he's been doing really well. We've been doing plenty of groundwork, and we still have plenty more I'd like to accomplish. In any case, I've been thinking I'd like to get a saddle to toss up on his back and have him wear while we're working on our groundwork. I'd prefer not to put my $1000+ saddle on him at least initially, and I've been thinking it might be useful to start off with a western saddle because they're bulkier and have the longer heavier stirrups which will be good for him to feel at his sides.

I was at the tack shop the other day and browsed through the used saddles they had. I spotted one for $150... it has that really neat look that says it's got a story to tell. No brand name to be found on it though.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there would be any reason that I shouldn't get a saddle like this as our first practice saddle? I wouldn't really have the intention of ever riding in it, so does it matter if the fit is perfect?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right, if it were an obviously terrible fit I wouldn't use it. I'm just thinking in terms of something that isn't flawlessly perfect, especially considering that he's young and he'll probably be changing to some extent. I'll take a wither tracing to the shop with me if I actually go to buy it just to make sure that nothing horrifically mismatches.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got a sheepskin/therapeutic foam saddle pad in mind that ought to even out any inconsistencies quite well. ^_^ I probably wouldn't be cinching it down too tight either... just enough that it won't go rolling around on him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.