The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. So royal got his script for prascend and im waiting on the medication. I will speak to my vet about 0.25mg of tablet over 3 days until he reaches his 1mg dosages.

I was wondering if anyone on here has images of there horses before and after prascend? Not so much for the coat images but more so muscle and weight.

Thanks and I will keep you all posted on his progress.

I was with a friend the other day who had her 27 year old thoroughbred put down and it was very upsetting. I am hoping I dont need to do that with royal and the medication can help him.

I am prepared to do the right thing by him if he doesn't pick up with feed and keeps dropping weight coming into winter..I dont want him to waste away.

I guess I wanted some good stories about the medication helping please.he is 24 years old
20210306_172306.jpg

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Condition Update! Picture 1 is from December 15, 2020, pre-Prascend(sedated in picture). Picture 2 is from January 30, 2021, 32 days on Prascend.

And then recently, from March 22, 2021, 97 days on Prascend.

Reactions: SteadyOn

·
Administrator
36,059 Posts
My Irish Draught mare is in her mid to late 20’s.
I’ve had her 16 years,

She’s been on Prascend for a long time, I don’t have her records handy but must be about 9 years now.

She started piling weight on a couple of years before she was positively diagnosed, she became the ultimate ‘air fern’.
Soon after she started on the Prascend she went the complete opposite and it’s now hard work keeping weight on her.
Her coat’s never improved- prior to Cushing’s, she had a very fine silky coat, it’s now like something seen on a Yak.
I have to full body clip her all year round.
FBA1B086-A9AF-4396-9958-01D94AA6E5DD.jpeg

She has been scratching her backside but she hasn’t rubbed her tail out, it gets clipped at the top because she has melanomas on the underside, it’s easier to keep it clean.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I don't have before pics from several years ago when I started Prascend, but here is my 30 year old mare recently. She has done extremely well on Prascend and her topline improved right away when I put her on it. She maintains her weight easily now.

ETA: @SueC also has a horse recently started on Prascend and he is doing well on it.
Oh I hope we can get this outcome. What do safe is your mare on now? Has it gone up over the years?

She looks great for 30!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Irish Draught mare is in her mid to late 20’s.
I’ve had her 16 years,

She’s been on Prascend for a long time, I don’t have her records handy but must be about 9 years now.

She started piling weight on a couple of years before she was positively diagnosed, she became the ultimate ‘air fern’.
Soon after she started on the Prascend she went the complete opposite and it’s now hard work keeping weight on her.
Her coat’s never improved- prior to Cushing’s, she had a very fine silky coat, it’s now like something seen on a Yak.
I have to full body clip her all year round.
View attachment 1111870
She has been scratching her backside but she hasn’t rubbed her tail out, it gets clipped at the top because she has melanomas on the underside, it’s easier to keep it clean.
Did she have muscle wastage? How does her dosage go? Royal get fluffy at the start of autumn and by late spring his coat is back to normal.

·
Administrator
36,059 Posts
Did she have muscle wastage? How does her dosage go? Royal get fluffy at the start of autumn and by late spring his coat is back to normal.
Not really, her muscle tone isn't as good as it used to be when she was working but it isn't any worse than in any horse that's not working.
She was on half a Prascend until a few months ago when it was upped to 3/4 and now 1 tablet a day as she's had a recurrence of the stress induced laminitis that she's not had since she originally started on the Prascend. It hasn't improved her coat.
I was out on when she started on Prascend - it was 6 years ago

This is her 15 years ago, she was really dappled then.
P1010024.JPG

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Thats a great difference. Glad to see some changes :)
It's hard to see in the pictures because of his winter coat, but he had muscle wastage and weight loss over his ribs. After 100 days on Prascend, he looks (and feels) like a whole new horse.

Now if only he would consistently eat his pill...was eating it fine for almost 3 months and suddenly figured out where it was hiding in his feed. Now it's stuck between the cookies of a Nutter Butter.

·
Administrator
36,059 Posts
It's hard to see in the pictures because of his winter coat, but he had muscle wastage and weight loss over his ribs. After 100 days on Prascend, he looks (and feels) like a whole new horse.

Now if only he would consistently eat his pill...was eating it fine for almost 3 months and suddenly figured out where it was hiding in his feed. Now it's stuck between the cookies of a Nutter Butter.
I either make a hole in a biggish slice of apple and stick the pill in that - hand feed - or I push it inside a Fig Newton cookie. Preferably apple and cinnamon or strawberry flavor, mainly because I steal one occasionally and like those better!

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Oh I hope we can get this outcome. What do safe is your mare on now? Has it gone up over the years?

She looks great for 30!
She started on a half pill for the first couple years, and has been on one pill for several years now with no changes.
I buy the Dimples pill pockets since the barn owner feeds my horses and I want to make sure she gets her dose daily. Those work great. I just use half of one for each pill since they're a bit spendy and I use them for my other horse's Equioxx too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not really, her muscle tone isn't as good as it used to be when she was working but it isn't any worse than in any horse that's not working.
She was on half a Prascend until a few months ago when it was upped to 3/4 and now 1 tablet a day as she's had a recurrence of the stress induced laminitis that she's not had since she originally started on the Prascend. It hasn't improved her coat.
I was out on when she started on Prascend - it was 6 years ago

This is her 15 years ago, she was really dappled then.
View attachment 1111874
So all in all the medication hasn't really helped her in ways that it has helped others.

Do you think without it though she would have gotten worse in a way?

·
Administrator
36,059 Posts
So all in all the medication hasn't really helped her in ways that it has helped others.

Do you think without it though she would have gotten worse in a way?
I think you’d have to get data from a much bigger group to address the first statement because I’ve heard others say that it didn’t really make much difference to the coat.

The real difference it made to her was that in the year prior to starting on Prascend, she had uncontrollable laminitis attacks that were never diet related or work related, her insulin levels were always OK.
Her first test came back negative but my vet wasn’t convinced and sent another test off to Cornell several months later and it came back positive.
She’s not had another laminitis attack until this year when several things in her life changed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you’d have to get data from a much bigger group to address the first statement because I’ve heard others say that it didn’t really make much difference to the coat.

The real difference it made to her was that in the year prior to starting on Prascend, she had uncontrollable laminitis attacks that were never diet related or work related, her insulin levels were always OK.
Her first test came back negative but my vet wasn’t convinced and sent another test off to Cornell several months later and it came back positive.
She’s not had another laminitis attack until this year when several things in her life changed.
Ah ok, well it's good the medication had helped her through the laminitis attacks.

I hope she gets through the recent bout of it ok and it doesn't come back again.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I know a lot more people that think prascend is a death sentence than otherwise and will never put their horse on it. But given the full circumstances I think their horses passed due to other causes unrelated to the medication.. just so happened that they were on it, y'know? A few said it was 100x harder to keep weight on them and one even took her gelding off it because of that. We have a 28 year old mare here on it and honestly she's doing amazing, looks like your boy in your picture really. But she's happy as anything and quite lively. A tiny dainty thing that struggles with weight but her owner recently changed diet drastically (over time) and found something that works. I went out with a gelding today who is also nearly 30 and on it -shedding terribly as expected. Same situation, hard keeper, but still goes out riding and just has to be managed a lot more. So. Its just my personal experience at various places I've worked and liveried at (why is cushings so common?!) that feed does have to be adjusted eventually and they DO lose some weight and become hard keepers or hard-er.. but that it eventually levels out.

One vet said to us while it came up and to paraphrase: "you know how its gonna go after some time. Then you choose if you want to go o'natural or with medication. Each horse is different and you pick whichever one you think will make them happiest.. or live the longest." The impression I got from our discussion was that some owners really struggled with the hard keeper part especially if they were used to robust steeds that didn't need much hands on, getting down to feed often and long enough was a problem or expensive etc. Another example given was when some owners didn't like their horse suddenly more lively - they were used to the slow lethargic safe plodder on the trails, not the spooky creature they got when on it (that probably feels well enough to express themselves and experience their environment in full colour). The mare I'm currently looking after has it and owner apparently refuses to medicate which is why I asked in the first place.

But usually the ones on prascend, I've noticed, tend to be on the upper age bracket. I haven't met many diagnosed unmedicated horses in their late 20's though. Tough thing. Oh and about weight loss... well most of them were OBESE to begin with. The three that were "normal" or already hard keepers.. nothing much changed month in month out.

Fingers crossed for you. After everything I've observed I'm pretty pro-prascend. But each individual has their own needs aye. Hope works out!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Yeah I will need to sneak royals in. But he can't have alot of sugar, so hopefully he just eats it and doesn't care hahah

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 28ish year old pony mare who we put on Prascend about 6 years ago; she was just starting to not shed that well, but her weight and condition were good. She had had one bad laminitic episode when she was 14ish, so she's basically been on dry lots and Buckeye Safe & Easy since then. Her bloods have been pulled semi-regularly, and she is still on half a pill.

From what I can see, Prascend has definitely increased my mares 'fitness/muscle tone' and quality of life. I do monitor her closely, and worry about her in general (my go to attitude!), but I sometimes think she is aging much more gracefully than I am, ha.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thabkg
I know a lot more people that think prascend is a death sentence than otherwise and will never put their horse on it. But given the full circumstances I think their horses passed due to other causes unrelated to the medication.. just so happened that they were on it, y'know? A few said it was 100x harder to keep weight on them and one even took her gelding off it because of that. We have a 28 year old mare here on it and honestly she's doing amazing, looks like your boy in your picture really. But she's happy as anything and quite lively. A tiny dainty thing that struggles with weight but her owner recently changed diet drastically (over time) and found something that works. I went out with a gelding today who is also nearly 30 and on it -shedding terribly as expected. Same situation, hard keeper, but still goes out riding and just has to be managed a lot more. So. Its just my personal experience at various places I've worked and liveried at (why is cushings so common?!) that feed does have to be adjusted eventually and they DO lose some weight and become hard keepers or hard-er.. but that it eventually levels out.

One vet said to us while it came up and to paraphrase: "you know how its gonna go after some time. Then you choose if you want to go o'natural or with medication. Each horse is different and you pick whichever one you think will make them happiest.. or live the longest." The impression I got from our discussion was that some owners really struggled with the hard keeper part especially if they were used to robust steeds that didn't need much hands on, getting down to feed often and long enough was a problem or expensive etc. Another example given was when some owners didn't like their horse suddenly more lively - they were used to the slow lethargic safe plodder on the trails, not the spooky creature they got when on it (that probably feels well enough to express themselves and experience their environment in full colour). The mare I'm currently looking after has it and owner apparently refuses to medicate which is why I asked in the first place.

But usually the ones on prascend, I've noticed, tend to be on the upper age bracket. I haven't met many diagnosed unmedicated horses in their late 20's though. Tough thing. Oh and about weight loss... well most of them were OBESE to begin with. The three that were "normal" or already hard keepers.. nothing much changed month in month out.

Fingers crossed for you. After everything I've observed I'm pretty pro-prascend. But each individual has their own needs aye. Hope works out!
Thankyou for that in-depth reply. I genuinely appreciate everyone who answers questions on my threads.

I am wanting him to be happy and healthy for as long as he can be.

He had his first tablet today and ate straight after it. He also ate dinner. So im happy with that!.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a 28ish year old pony mare who we put on Prascend about 6 years ago; she was just starting to not shed that well, but her weight and condition were good. She had had one bad laminitic episode when she was 14ish, so she's basically been on dry lots and Buckeye Safe & Easy since then. Her bloods have been pulled semi-regularly, and she is still on half a pill.

From what I can see, Prascend has definitely increased my mares 'fitness/muscle tone' and quality of life. I do monitor her closely, and worry about her in general (my go to attitude!), but I sometimes think she is aging much more gracefully than I am, ha.
Ah thats my go to attitude also. I have ptsd from finding a horse in our paddock with a broken leg and had to be put down. So if I dont see my horses as soon as we get to our paddock I freak out. They can be over the creek and in the tree line were you don't see them and I still worry.

Im excited to see how he goes :) i need to a picture tomorrow of him and I will get one at 1 month. Vet comes out in 6 weeks for another blood sample and we will evaluate him again. She did say if he stops eating completely then we stop straight away.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This was royal when we got him in February last year. He isnt putting weight on his front legs due to the previous founder and he was in my opinion fat!. He was stalled in maybe 200qm with a walk in shed, little grass and just feed hay all the time. He moved to our 53acre with grass and he lost weight, but now he has gone a little bit south but we are working on it.
Screenshot_20210410-192909_Gallery.jpg
IMG_20200216_191457_171.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts