The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
16,004 Posts
As a seller I note in all my sales contracts that the horse is sold as is, where is and that the buyer has been advised that they are not only permitted to have a PPE but strongly encouraged to have one. I then have the statement,

"Buyer acknowleges that seller has strongly encouraged him/her to have a PPE and understands that the horse is sold as is, where is, with no expressed or implied warranties for soundness."

Buyer ................ (signature of buyer) wishes to have a PPE at his/her own expense or

Buyer ................... (signature of buyer) DECLINES to have a PPE at his/her own expense and accepts full responsibility for declining said PPE.

I then have the buyer sign by the statement that expresses their wishes, either to have the exam or not to.

I wouldn't ever knowingly sell an unsound horse but I've seen 3 year olds who've never been worked fail PPE's for navicular changes and for OCD lesions that the seller knew nothing about. Depending on the price of the horse (can you afford to buy another horse in case this one doesn't stay sound and you can't sell it), I'd say yes or no. I probably wouldn't do an exam on a $500 horse but I certainly would do one on a $5000 or more horse.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.