The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Depends on so many things. We bought a horse last year that had been xrayed and owners were told was foundered. We loved the blood lines so we went and looked.

The horse definately was lame but we felt she was not foundered and told the owners they should get second opinion. They declined, we bought her dirt cheap, took the xrays to our Equine Specialist along with video of her moving and he watched the video, read the xrays and said no founder, no rotation, but check for abcess. She blew 2 abcesses (one old that was never treated properly).

The vet did tell us to lay her up for a possible stifle problem which we have done for several months and she is now almost 100% sound again. (we noticed a glitch in her hind end when she stopped or was loping)

In this horses case we felt her training (she had an awesome start) and pedigree warranted some time off to see if she would come right. No matter what we will have a great brood mare if she becomes a pasture puff as she has a nice pedigree and confo.

So we bought her because at the price we could afford to wait and see.


If you dont get a PPE because you are tight for money you risk running into a problem you can not see such as stifle weakness, ulcers, injuries that may or may not recurr..etc.
Get a PPE with xrays and have them send a digital copy of the xrays and results of PPE to your vet so you have a second opinion. It will cost nothing to get the digital xray sent via email (at least we didnt have to pay) so make it clear to the vet doing the PPE you want that done.
Best of Luck
 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top