The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
I look at it this way. Would you rather pay the vet bill for an inspection or do you have the money to pay later if something goes wrong? Really an honest question. You will always say it was a waste of money if the horse was healthy but if something comes back negative, it is the best money ever spent. But I would only do as the last step before you were 100% ready to buy.

I would just consider as part of the cost of the horse.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Just a general exam of the vet looking him over really isn't worth it since he couldn't see problems deep down. I don't know...I'd rather take the risk then spend the money.
A general exam is better than nothing. You would be surprised what you find out. It doesn't have to be "deep down."

I have heard of one person who was buying a horse and through the vet exam found out that the mare was ten months pregnant. The original owner had no idea. So yes, you never know what you will find.

·
Registered
637 Posts
We didn't do a PPE on our mare, Delriah. We were told that she was just an old lesson horse with too much 'get up and go' for this particular lesson program. They said she was 24 years old and had a little artheritis. We assumed they were telling us the truth about her, flexed her, rode her around, tacked her up ourselves, etc. She seemed fine so we bought her. She was great, doing everything with plenty of pep- but her legs began stocking up when she was ridden much. We assumed it was the artheritis getting worse and called the vet out 6 months after buying her (we do our own farrier work and shots so there was no need otherwise) because of the legs...turns out that she didn't have artheritis at all, she was low on a few key minerals that help blood circulation. We put her on a suppliment and she was fine. Even worse (and amazing), when the vet checked her mouth- he said 'now I'm not a dentist...but these don't look like twenty year old teeth to me. More like thirty plus!' We located her papers, look her up- and she's not 24...she's 37! She was missing nutriences because her teeth were worn down and she wasn't breaking down her feed correctly. Not only that, but she was a World Champion cutting and reining horse back in her day. She's now 49, STILL only has very minor artheritis, and loves to go for rides.

All of this for what? To tell you that you never know what you're getting into. With a PPE you can tell if a horse is drugged, if they have health problems, and if they do- if they're easily treatable. It's well worth the money.

To tell you that even with video
What a great story!! Wow - awesome horse!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.