The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently baught a late 2yo filly out of APHA stallion by appointment only out of a APHA mare named one kool baby "out of one kool krymsun". When i purchased her she was only 14h tall. Her sire is 16h and her dam im not sure on height but the dams sire is 16h as well. I have followed a few horses by the sire and seen some hit 15.2-15.3h by there 3ed year. Would anyone be fermiliar with these lines to guess how tall my filly could get to and if these lines grow slow?

·
Super Moderator
12,687 Posts
By two they have grown to between 96 and 98% of their finished height. You can stick her now and come up with a range for her.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
I've found that if you measure from their cornet to the middle of the knee, it's pretty accurate. Give or take a fraction of an inch. 14 inches will be 14h, 15 1/2 inches would be 15.2h etc. This measurement works almost from birth. My mare measured at 16 inches and stayed 15.3 for the longest time and then somewhere between her 5th and 7th year she grew another 1/4 inch and made it to 16h.

Now her filly is 4 years old and measures 15.2. Her cornet to knee measurement is 16 inches so we will see..

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Sorry, I meant to say that the mare grew another inch between 5 and 7 years old

1 - 4 of 4 Posts