The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please say just fat! I bought a QH mare on 12-24 and I think she just looks fat, but my dad thinks she looks preggers. She was in with a stud colt, but I don't think he would have gotten her (Atleast I hope not). I can't honestly tell you how old the stud colt is, but I am thinking 10+ months... (I will post a pic of him)

What do you think? Fat or preggers?
Here is Demi (Bay)

Here is that stud colt (Pally) Feel free to age him...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Don't waste time contemplating it, and get her tested by a vet instead. It's the only way you can figure out for sure, and you need to figure it out now so that you can sort out your options. The colt does look old enough to breed, but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just trying to see if I should even try to test her or if I am just worrying over a fat horse. I will certianly get her tested if there is enough thought of her being preg. Both my mom, brother and I think she is not preg, but I wanted more opinions.

·
Registered
554 Posts
She was kept with an ungelded horse. That should be enough of a convincing fact to me. You usually can't even visibly tell if a mare is pregnant unless she is far enough along in her term.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Some mare never show, others always look pregnant. If the horse has shown any studly behavior or is tall enough to breed with her get her tested. You might even be able to get an at home kit.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Agree that the best thing is get her vet-checked, as the colt indeed looks pretty mature (I have a 20 month old colt who has his testicles and has shown some interest in mares over the fence, and the pictured colt looks bigger and more developed than my 20 month old colt.)

And, as mentioned, you can't really tell by looking if a mare is pregnant, especially if she is only a few months along (and her belly is definitely not slender and tucked up is it....)

·
Registered
744 Posts
You can't really tell from looking at a horse. I had a mare who has had multiple colts, but didn't show this last time until she was 8 months. I would say the colt looks old enough to have bred her. My advice would be have her checked or do a home test on her.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have to agree with the rest!
Don't wait for the vet check, do it !

You'd rather know in time than too late.

·
Registered
359 Posts
looks fat to me,

but as everyone esle has said, you cant really tell till late in the pregnancy and she would not be showing yet, best to get her tested

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a quick question, what is a home pregnancy check?
I will get her tested by a vet, but I just want to know what the home one is! (I would probably mess up the home one, so best to get her checked by a professional!)

·
Registered
847 Posts
It's called WeeFoal, I think, but I think you need to use it within a specific time frame.

I'd get the vet out. My instructor thought her horse was fat until the vet came to do her shots and insisted on testing for pregnancy!

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, I am calling my vet tomorrow morning (Its sunday and they aren't open today...)

·
Registered
726 Posts
Why on earth did they run her with that stallion! Just because he is young, doesn't mean he won't do anything. My neighbor had an 11 month old colt as she turned him out one day with the others, he thought he was herd stallion! Luckily she removed him before anything happened! How long was she running with the stallion? If it was just over fall/winter theres a lower chance anything happened. If she was with him over summer, she's probably bred...

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I am pretty sure he has been with them his whole life... I am going to call and see for sure how long he has been with them. I am guessing his whole life because that buckskin is his mom...

·
Registered
726 Posts
OMG! I can't believe they run an intact colt with his mother. That's just asking for trouble!

·
Registered
554 Posts
OMG! I can't believe they run an intact colt with his mother. That's just asking for trouble!
Yeah, definitely... I found a thread at another horse forum about someone who turned out a filly with her father. They thought, "Oh, he wouldn't do that!"
...Yes he would. Some people really don't have common sense.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.