The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is probably going to breed her mare, and she is wondering if she can still gallop her horse, and enter gymkhanas up until 9 months pregnant?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Hmm, I've never bred a horse nor do I know much about breeding but from what I understand is that no you should not gallop a pregnant horse,

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, I've never bred a horse nor do I know much about breeding but from what I understand is that no you should not gallop a pregnant horse,

Oh.. my friend told me that she can gallop her up to 7-8 months, and then trot/canter up to 9 months, and then the rest just walk.
From what i thought, i thought you could barely even ride them at all, but she kept telling me that she could ride them, but she didnt know for sure.
I hope she wont gallop her too much though :/
I dont really agree with her breeding her horse, because she doesnt have perfect conformation, she is pretty friendly though, but i also dont think my friend has enough experience to have a foal, but its not my decision :(

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
As I said, its just what I have heard, and I have not had any experiance in this certain feild. But there are plenty of members on here that have. Although if it was me, my horse would be rapped in bubble rap :D

·
Registered
992 Posts
I have seen people run barrels with their mares up until the last 2-3 months of pregnancy, sometimes even longer. Our shows are only once a month, though. And riding a pregnant mare is very okay, especially if the mare was ridden regularly before the pregnancy. The better shape the mare is during her pregnancy, the less of a chance of complications. A breeder I know uses all her broodies as hack horses during their pregnancies with no problems. I would think that once in a while would be fine, as long as it's not overdone.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I said, its just what I have heard, and I have not had any experiance in this certain feild. But there are plenty of members on here that have. Although if it was me, my horse would be rapped in bubble rap :grin:
haha, i would be like that too if it was my mare :)

I have seen people run barrels with their mares up until the last 2-3 months of pregnancy, sometimes even longer. Our shows are only once a month, though. And riding a pregnant mare is very okay, especially if the mare was ridden regularly before the pregnancy. The better shape the mare is during her pregnancy, the less of a chance of complications. A breeder I know uses all her broodies as hack horses during their pregnancies with no problems. I would think that once in a while would be fine, as long as it's not overdone.
Woah, thank you :) I am not sure about my friend though, i am quite sure she will be riding her everyday up until a month due. She rides/gallops alot!

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Riding is almost necessary, galloping needs to be limited. If the mare is in tip-top show condition, and continues to be that way for the duration of her pregnancy, then doing her regular shows and workouts through the majority of the pregnancy likely won't be a problem. As soon as she starts showing and carrying extra weight though, you must use extreme caution. She has a lot more stress on her body, and her food needs to be going to feed two mouths, so the person should be well educated in how to keep the mare fit and in good weight if she's using her energy to work.

I personally would not continue showing or doing hard work once she begins showing without the advice of a veterinarian. It seems stupid and ridiculous to risk the pregnancy for your own personal benefit after investing so much time and money into it.

As for riding a pregnant mare, you can work them lightly right up until they give birth. As was stated, the better shape a mare is in, the easier the pregnancy should be. Healthy and well maintained mares have less complications.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Riding is almost necessary, galloping needs to be limited. If the mare is in tip-top show condition, and continues to be that way for the duration of her pregnancy, then doing her regular shows and workouts through the majority of the pregnancy likely won't be a problem. As soon as she starts showing and carrying extra weight though, you must use extreme caution. She has a lot more stress on her body, and her food needs to be going to feed two mouths, so the person should be well educated in how to keep the mare fit and in good weight if she's using her energy to work.

I personally would not continue showing or doing hard work once she begins showing without the advice of a veterinarian. It seems stupid and ridiculous to risk the pregnancy for your own personal benefit after investing so much time and money into it.

As for riding a pregnant mare, you can work them lightly right up until they give birth. As was stated, the better shape a mare is in, the easier the pregnancy should be. Healthy and well maintained mares have less complications.
Yes, exactly.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Oh just a quick note since we've had some problems with this in the past - I'm aware it's your friend doing this and not you. :) When I refer to "you" in my posts, it's a generality designated to all people type of thing, not actually implying that I think YOU are the one who wants to gallop all the time. Just thought I'd clarify.

·
Registered
108 Posts
very true

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I say go for it. The first third of a foals gestation are far more fragile than the last third. I seriously doubt that there are 5 people on this forum that ride hard enough to hurt a mare in her tenth or eleventh month. Use your judgement and if the mare shows signs of pain at the gallop then slow down. The Amish many times will work a mare up untill the day she foals and then a day or two later they hook the mare up and tie the colt alongside her. Horses are far less fragile than many give them credit for.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i agree with MakabreMik. It's very hard on them to overdo the hi stress speed events after 5 months. riding is fine, but not the demands of speed events. their balance changes, their weight it higher, and their hormones are different. it's a lot of weight pounding on those front feet too. greater danger of stress founder.

yes they run in the wild, but they do it their way and control their own actions. the rider can easily unbalance a very pg mare and cause injury or a fall. and even in the wild, during those horrid BLM roundups by helicopter, mares are injured or some abort due to the prolonged stress and physical demands that the mare herself cannot control.

i used to do reining on pg mares, but never after 5 months. regular riding is good for them though to keep them in shape.

JMHO

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Do pregnant mares in the wild run/gallop? It seems like some do, not sure how far they are.

·
Registered
100 Posts
mares in the wild run whenever there is danger. pregnant or not. but mares close to delivering are more careful. in times of great danger, they can actually put off foaling.

also they go off with a buddy mare, who protects them while they foal. they are pretty wise, when humans don't tinker with them

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm.. thanks for all the info. I am pretty sure what my friend means is she is going to be galloping her around in a field up until at least the 9/10 month. She isnt really an experienced rider or anything, but she runs ALOT, thats pretty much all she does. I sure hope she makes the right decisions for her horse though, because she doesnt sometimes...
Thanks for all the information! :D

·
Banned
249 Posts
I think it would be alright, horses run like that in the wild everyday pregnant or not. On the other hand with your added weight it might not be the best idea.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think it would be alright, horses run like that in the wild everyday pregnant or not. On the other hand with your added weight it might not be the best idea.
BUT, horses arent in the wild anymore, they are domesticated. When people say oh horses sheaths dont need to be cleaned because how do they clean them in the wild?? Or, well in the wild horses dont do this or that. Our horses arent wild, never were never will be. They rely on us. Its just funny to me how people say to me when I say.. well in the wild... blablabla... then someone else says to me.. well in the wild.. blablabla.. haha i dont know if that made sense, but ya haha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.