The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so my horse Sugar has been looking big lately and me and my aunt think we know why...A couple days ago our neighbors 2 stallions got out me and my aunt found out from our neighbor, we always let Sugar roam around our property and our neighbor said she saw the stallions on our property our problem is that we dont know if she is pregnant or not is there any way to find out? and if she is what do we need to do to get prepared?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
987 Posts
How long ago did this happen? You can have your vet palpate her and they can tell you if she is or not!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
You are not going to be able to tell if she was bred a weekago. She isn't going to look any different.

I would suggest having the vet the come out to give her the shot to flush the pregnancy if you don't want the foal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
987 Posts
In about 10 more days have your vet out to see if she is. I would not wait because it takes about 5 months for a mare to really know. Is this your first mare? Would this be your first foal as well? The sooner you know the better off you are. Do you know if your neighbor saw your mare and stud on top of each other? Do you know if your mare was in heat? If she comes back that she isn't I would put a top strand of electric fence separating her from the studs otherwise you might end up with a bred mare without you knowing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She was in heat, the neighbor said she didnt see them on top of each other but she saw him trying to mount her.This is my first mare and foal as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
987 Posts
Do you want to have the foal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Our only problem is financial issues, we want to have the foal but it will cost a lot to have her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,113 Posts
If you realise that financial issues are going to be a problem, if you find she is prego, have it terminated. Plus if you dcide to keep it you have to think about what the foal will be like... How are the possible fathers conformation? Your mares? Temperments?

I think you should have her palpated ASAP and if she is, have it terminated before it is too late and you have a backyard baby you can't afford.

I would also talk to the stallions' owner and ask them to either put up some electric wire of fix the fence, and since they were the ones at fault(their boys after all) see if they will help with the vet bill to see if she is prego and then if they will help if you choose to have it terminated...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,379 Posts
As said above, you would not see pregnancy related differences at this point. If you want to be sure, have the vet out for a check and decide from there. If you are unable to provide for the foal, there are options and they are far preferable to having a horse you can't provide for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know it sounds irresponsible but i really dont want to kill the foal becuase of someone elses fault, the foal doesnt deserve it , i will get a second job if i have to the foal is going to born. The fathers are show jumpers (not famous ones) and from what i've been told they are up for stud (i gess i dont have to pay) and thye have good bloodlines.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,390 Posts
the foal isnt alive yet. when its just a small thing, it's not really......umm......err......... dare I say consience yet? If you chiose to go through with it, good luck and I hope you have a beautiful baby! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know what i mena is i dont want to get 'it' killed at the vet, sorry if i sound stupid the word is in my mind i just cant think of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,113 Posts
You need to take your emotions out of this situation. It may sound nice to keep the foal. But even you realize you might not be able to give it everything it needs financially.

What if it comes out with severe complications and you do not have the money to have it taken care of and it has to suffer?

IMO I would rather you take care of it now before it is a living breathing thing that can suffer and feel and possibly have to go through a life of misery.

Yes it was some one else's mistake, and that is what it is, a mistake.

Like they say you can do wrong with even the best intentions. You are becoming emotionally attached to something you are not even sure about yet, when do you plan to get the vet out to see if she is even pregnant?

Sorry if I sound cold, I have just seen this way too many times, and 9/10 it turns out badly for the foal in question no matter the good intentions...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, i really want the foal i was planning on breeding her when she was older but the stallions beat me to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, so it been 20 days since the incident happened should i go to the vet now? becuase i need to know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,082 Posts
Well if the studs get loose again next year they may kill the foal if it is a colt. Sounds like other issues that are always going to be a concern here.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top