The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a mare who is pregnant for the first time. I’m not sure how far she is along but know she’s at least 10 months. She has the yellow wax like stuff in one of her teats. A few weeks ago it was in both. Now it’s just in the smaller of the two teats. Her teats have become larger in the last month. She has yet to bag yet. I wonder what is this and what does it mean?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,261 Posts
Thick, yellow, sticky, honey like would be colostrum in a pregnant mare.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Have you had a vet out to examine her throughout her pregnancy, give the appropriate vaccines, etc? If so, I would give them a call and ask them. Usually thick, yellow, sticky honey would be colostrum in a pregnant mare. If everything goes normal for the pregnancy and delivery, she will bag up before she foals. Colostrum doesn't usually appear though until they wax..usually near delivery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She hasn’t seen the vet. She’s had this yellow sticky stuff since the end of October. Teats are swollen but I don’t see a bag yet.

·
Super Moderator
11,261 Posts
Do you know for sure she is pregnant? Was she confirmed in foal and checked later to make sure she didn't slip?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts