The Horse Forum banner

Pregnant or something else?!

987 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Paquette15
We are newer to the horse world so I'm learning. I got this mare 4 months ago (Oct 2021). I was told she foaled in July 2021(foal died at birth). She started dripping milk a few days ago. If she got pregnant before I got her, then she'd be around 6ish months along. No stallions here. I had the vet out. He did a rectal palpation, but didn't feel a foal. I took this video this evening. Is this just odd breathing or could there possibly still be a foal? Maybe it was too far down to feel? Any help is appreciated!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
16,990 Posts
Can't really tell from the pic, she does kind of look preggo. If the vet is worth his salt, he shouldn't have missed a fetus. Is she wet because of rain, bath or sweaty? If she's all sweated, I'd wonder about colic. She may be having a 'false pregnancy'. I had a mare who would bag up and lactate when she was WIDE open, just if she saw a foal on the property. She LOVED being a momma. Not saying this is what your mare is doing but it's a possiblilty.

· Registered
10,478 Posts
Most of it was breathing/muscle contractions but there were a couple of times I saw what could be foal kicks. Hard to tell without being able to feel. If she is pregnant she shouldn't be lactating yet unless she's getting ready to abort this foal too. Your best bet would be to take her to an equine clinic or a university with a vet program where they will have better diagnostic tools.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't really tell from the pic, she does kind of look preggo. If the vet is worth his salt, he shouldn't have missed a fetus. Is she wet because of rain, bath or sweaty? If she's all sweated, I'd wonder about colic. She may be having a 'false pregnancy'. I had a mare who would bag up and lactate when she was WIDE open, just if she saw a foal on the property. She LOVED being a momma. Not saying this is what your mare is doing but it's a possiblilty.
It was raining here. She's pooping like normal and is very vocal when it's time to eat and she sees me coming. She's usually the first one finished, so her appetite is good. I wouldn't think colic with pooping and appetite good. I've only met this vet 1 other time I had him come out. There's not many options in my area. He has a small animal clinic and will make farm calls a couple afternoons a week. I only have 1 other mare and a mini gelding, so no foals near us but the weather has been back and forth lately.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most of it was breathing/muscle contractions but there were a couple of times I saw what could be foal kicks. Hard to tell without being able to feel. If she is pregnant she shouldn't be lactating yet unless she's getting ready to abort this foal too. Your best bet would be to take her to an equine clinic or a university with a vet program where they will have better diagnostic tools.
Yes, there were 2 times she flinched which I thought looked like little kicks. She isn't dripping milk anymore but bag still has milk and feels just as full. I'll have to Google where the closest clinic or university is and call them. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.