The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a horse person so I'm here. Talked to someone today who wanted to side
12'x24'x12' of a 24'x60'x10' open pole barn for protection from blowing rain. 6'x6' manger? in center, and we're in central Florida. Problem is half the barn floods and stays wet. I figure its best they put money into fill sand for the low area and save for the siding next spring. We've only got about another month of blowing rain and it's warm, best to get their feet out of the water. They've got great pasture, 20 to 25 acres total with 10 to 15 high and dry at the wettest time, the barn was just placed wrong. What kind of sand do you get? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Hmm, I am not sure what kind of sand you should buy, but I do agree that they should take care of the wet ground first. That can cause major feet problems. And worry about the shelter next year, horses huddle together when the weather is bad. Thats what they do naturally, but the wet ground, they can sometimes not get away from, so i'd take care of that first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, I'm thinking course grain, something around 1/8", something that will pack but still drain. They've got plenty of land to stay dry they just go there to get out of the heavy stuff. Thanks

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
When I lived in PA, the barn I had, had a problem with mud. The barn was there before I bought the place and it was never used for horses, just equipment. When I put the horses in I created an overhang that attracted the horses and after a few rains, became a deep mud pit.

What I did was to dig out the mud to a depth of ~1', put in 6" of course gravel then topped it off with crushed rock. The rock became hard with trampling from the horses but drained well. If it is too hard for your liking, rubber stall mats will take care of that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts