The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey People well i have an 11.2hh gelding who is a bit of a problem,i bet Buffy when my aunty bought him unseen from a friend and got him transported to my paddocks until she could get another truck to take him to hers. I did a little work with him and soon realised he was no where near suitable for her young children to ride or handle! So she agreed to let him stay with me for a while so i could school him. Then she decided to sell him and had someone interested but i had fallen in love with him and couldn't bear to see him go so i bought him myself.
He has a bad bucking problem and i got the chiropractor too him who diagnosed him with wither syndrome(google it). After a few visits she said he was safe to ride again and he was much much better. But he still bucked! So we had his saddle checked and it didn't fit so i started riding him in a pony pad(sheepskin). He was much happier and although he still bucked it wasn't so bad. Eventualy i had his teeth done(I thought they were sore so ha been riding him in a hackamore)and he had a wolf tooth removed. Now i can use a bit and he doesn't mind!! I got him a french link hanging snaffle which he goes well in. Soon after he slipped over while being lunged. He was fine no obvious injury so i continued riding him. Then he began rearing BIG,mostly vertical. He was also very nappy and bolted once. I became scared to ride him. Lately i noticed he has a knot in the muscle in his neck so i think he has put something out. Another call to the chiropractor who is coming next week. He is now out of work. Just wanting some ideas of what to do if he continues rearing when i bring him back into work?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Check that his bit fits nicely, and that it doesnt pinch, maybe that is what caused the rears. AHe could also be being naughty

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Well from the story you have written, you can't be sure if the little chap has ever been introduced to a saddle properly. Was he ever properly backed?

But get the back checked - OK a chiro is OK but try to find a proper horse physio therapist and preferably one who rides horses.

Then check the saddle - does it fit or pinch?
Look for marks on the hair.

You checked the teeth now try a different bit - maybe a straight snaffle or even a straight bar.

But don't assume the chap is bolshie just because he is an awkward little customer. Maybe he has a good reason. Give him the benefit of the doubt.

Don't get frightened of him - he'll know.

Once you are sure that he has no physical or tack problems then find youself a working cowboy and sit him on the little chap and let him buck.

If that doesn't cure him - then teach him to pull a cart.

PS If he has welsh pony blood, then bear in mind that bucking is what they do best

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
My idea would slowly introduce being riden again. Do about 5 minutes undersaddle. and call it quits on a good simply note, do this for a few days with someone close by. just do walk halt stuff. If he is behaving then proceed same lesson just add 5 more minutes onto each session. Make sure you are wearing a helmet, he might be small but a horse is a horse. My other idea would be have someone lead you around till he gets used to it again. Hope he is better :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!!
I got the size bit my trainer reccomended :)
I can sit to his bucks-he's never bucked me off.
I think he has been misstreated,he was started under saddle around 2-3 and used for young children did two shows in the lead rein section and did brilliantly but then he started bucking and the kids got scared so he was passed around to lots of people who all tryed to fix him...poor wee bloke was probably very confused!
Thats a good idea Klassic superstar :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.