The Horse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! My mustang has rain rot (ugh) and its my first time dealing with it as a horse owner. I'm headed to Tractor Supply and possibly my local tack store if needed. I'm going to get an iodine based shampoo, and was wondering of anyone had any product recommendations for getting rid of this nasty stuff. I have a trial size bottle of MTG, does anyone know how it works for rain rot? It's only a mild case, and the skin under the scurfy sections is gray and dry, not raw at all. He has some spots where hair is already growing back.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Just thought of another question: I keep finding conflicting information on wether or not it's passed to horse from horse by sharing brushes, ect. Should I disinfect brushes, blankets, ect to be safe or is it unneccesary?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
14,146 Posts
Thanks!

Just thought of another question: I keep finding conflicting information on wether or not it's passed to horse from horse by sharing brushes, ect. Should I disinfect brushes, blankets, ect to be safe or is it unneccesary?
Posted via Mobile Device
I wash my brushes in the MicroTek Shampoo and let them soak overnight after I'm done washing and grooming the horse. It's fungal in origin so I'd say that it could be spread from horse to horse. I also feed Vit A supplement to keep skin healthy and prevent recurrence.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
^^^ actually a bacteria, not a fungus, but the info all still applies.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up getting Viodine medicated shampoo, and it treats bacterial and fungal skin conditions, so either way, I'm good. :) I think I'm gonna stick to using MTG, as the Microtek shampoo was almost $35 dollars :-O
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
cure it instead of treat it, rain rot on the skin is a symptom of vitamin A deficiency. all the topical goos are just treatign a symptom and not dealing with the actual problem. It is great marketing though. You buy it, use it rain rot goes away you think its great a few weeks later it comes back you go buy more and repeat.. Tractor supply carries Dumor Gold vitamin supplement, $30 will last a horse a few months, all they need is a couple oz a day. with plenty of green grass you can taper off till fall.

·
Registered
102 Posts
MTG truly does work smells like a cross between bacon and a just struck match but it is great stuff! Makes me think of the Buckleys commercials- taste awful but it works lol.

·
Registered
14,146 Posts
LOL, MTG works.........but if you forget and don't wear surgical gloves, when you roll over in the middle of the night and your hand gets next to your nose, you will start dreaming that you've died and gone to Hades, the bacon wears off and the sulphur remains and remains and remains.......UGH!!!!! It's why I switched to Eqyss. And 2nd the vit A recommendation.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Just a note, some horses can have a bad reaction to MTG. If you decide to use it, test a small area first.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone! I've used it on him before for tail growth, so I know the smell :lol: he's all oiled up like a greased hog now, so the gross bacony smell just makes it more hilarious. :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
My mare has it..She had/has it bad on her right side and had it starting to get bad on her left.

I started her on vit A orally once a week..and by the time I have her the second dose today her left has already grown new fur and the right is almost gone. She still has hair growth on the right, but the left is already gone and regrown.

For $35 for a 250cc bottle of vit A, I will never buy a $35 bottle of spray that'll be gone by the time she gets it again, lol. This bottle of vit A should last me a year with once a week for 2 months doses and then once a month doses once the rainrot is gone and her two bald patches grow in. It's amazing.

I was actually hesitant because I figured fungal has to be treated from the outside, but it's worked great in just a week. I think one of joe4d's posts actually convinced me to try it, lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's all cleared up now guys! All the little gross scabs are gone, and the hairs growing back like a weed. :) I used an iodine based shampoo daily for a few days, then hit it with the MTG every evening.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 17 of 17 Posts