The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What feeds out there have a high count of protien? Or anything I can add to his already feed to get a higher count of protien?

Nelson is lacking in muscle after his episode with his hock, and colic - and I want to help him build a topline again and muscle through our 1/2 hour riding schedules.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Go to your local feed store and ask. They should be able to steer you in the right direction. Look for the ones with 11-14% crude protein. The higher it is, the more energy they will have. As far as helping get his muscle up, I don't know if the protein will help, but lots of exercised will. :) Hope I helped a little.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Blue Seal makes a 16% pelleted feed called Contender. Don't know if you want to go that high or not... they have a 14% called Hunter.

What brand is Nelson on now?

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nelson is on Purina Senior.

Purina Mills Equine Senior® Horse Feed

He was on 4 pounds before he coliced, and then went down to a handful. Right now he is at 3 1/2 pounds of P.S until I can gradually increase him back to 4, my Vet wants him at 5.

As much as I love Tripple Crown, no one supplies that product here anymore - everyone has gone to Buckeye, Purina and another brand that I cannot remember.....mind has gone blank.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Purina Senior is lacking in quality protien. Why not go with Gro N Win then add some alfalfa pellets for additional calories??

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I actually have to travel a few towns over to find Triple Crown, but it's worth it for my girl.

Ok...off topic comment to Peggy Sue (sorry MIE :oops:). I saw on another forum you found the company that owns Buckeye and were marvelling at the other people/pet brands they own. I happen to work for that company!

But unfortunately, I'd have to travel really far to find Buckeye (at least the last time I checked).

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Buckeye was the first Ration Balancer I tried. I no longer use it because the price kept going UP. But it is a good brand of Ration Balancer and honestly I like it BETTER then Triple Crown.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i think having a generally balanced diet is more important for muscle gain than upping the protein. if you feed them something with more than 14% protein they basically just pee the rest out.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
oh ok
i really like ultium if you want to up the calories
i dont have any experience with senior feeds like you are already using !

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am really paranoid about changing Nelson's feed though, because he is soooo oober sensative -I fear another colic.

How much protien is in Ultium? What is in Grow And Win?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
It's not about the number on the bag but about the TOTAL diet and amount fed and the quality of it all.

if all you are really wanting to do is add some amino acids then look for the supplement called Tri Amino. I can't remember who makes it off top of my head.

If he is so sensitive I would NOT have him on Purina Senior it has grains which can and do lead to stomach problems. Have you had him checked for ulcers??

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, and he has uclers. yes he's been scoped. He's been on Purina Senior for 6 years. He is now 20 years old.

I also have him on SmartGut from SmartPak.

His face is stuffed in a round bale all day, purina senior, plenty of vits and mins, and so on and so on.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that horses don't use protein to "bulk up" like humans do... Can't find the article online though and I can't find my stash of magazines!! Gah!!!

Personally, I would not add anything to his feed. He needs to walk and walk and walk in a frame and properly connected while pushing from behind to build muscle! Correct riding builds correct muscle. He is not going to magically bulk up because you change his feed.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.