The Horse Forum banner

Proud Flesh?

1689 Views 12 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  QtrBel
My horse seems to have gotten a cut on his leg. I’ve had horses in the past get proud flesh but I want a second opinion since it’s been so long. It’s been very muddy and rainy here lately so it’s worried me a bit more than normal. I will attatch a photo below in a few minutes when I get back from feeding and can get a picture. I washed it off yesterday and put corona ointment on it (that’s all I had on hand). My main questions are
1. Is this truly proud flesh/beginning to be proud flesh?
2. Should I start with an antibiotic and steroid cream?
3. Should I go ahead and treat as proud flesh? (I have underwood horse medicine)

Thank y’all!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
356 Posts
I am only responding since no one else has yet. My guess would be "scratches" which is a type of dermititis that can be mud related. I have never dealt with it personally so maybe someone more experienced will chime in.

· Super Moderator
27,778 Posts
I was just thinking scratches myself. I would try cleaning her leg really well and then when it dries cover it in desitin..... (That is what I have done in the past)

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never thought of scratches, thank y’all!! When I clean it tomorrow should I keep him in a stall to make sure it stays dry? We’re supposed to get a lot of snow tomorrow.

· Super Moderator
27,778 Posts
I would probably let him stay in for the day or at least at night. When Beauty had it I scrubbed her really well with betadine and then just covered her in diaper ointment. It was fairly dry at the time but that acted as a barrier and cleared her up really quickly. I mean I covered her legs so they were white... (I probably over did it)

· Banned
941 Posts
To me it looks like tick bites. But yeah give it a good clean, some disinfectant (iodine, cetrogen ect) and let her dry in a stall. If you are truly worried maybe wrap it up and call a very.

· Super Moderator
17,122 Posts
Absolutely do not wrap. Bad. Bad advice. There are very, very few instances where you would wrap and that is only if cellulitis is part of the problem. Even then you wrap under the vets advice and by his direction.

Clean, disinfect, dry and medicate.

· Banned
941 Posts
Oh ok. I was just going by what I had been told before. Thanks for the correction:)

104 Posts
I also think it looks like scratched or as we call it here, mud fever. We use a paste type ointment I can’t remember what it’s called I’ll check tomorrow but it cleared up Coco’s which was really bad. Keep it dry and clean and it should be fine

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah definitely thinking it’s mud fever now. Thank y’all! I scrubbed his legs today with vetrolin and then put chlorhexidine all over and threw him in a nice dry stall. The pic is of the worst one:

should I continue washing his legs with vetricin until everything clears up or just keep brushing his legs and applying chlorhexidine to stay clear of any moisture? And is there anything else I should be doing or applying?

· Super Moderator
17,122 Posts
I'd make sure to add an anti bac cream to that worst one. That looks more like a stick or something poked him pretty bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.