The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never pulled a mane but now that I have a TB, I am going to have to because the thought of a long mane on a TB is nightmarish. I was planning on using one of those new things where it pushes up the hair and cuts it at the top. (sorry, I don't know how to explain it!) My friend uses it and she loves it.

ANYWAY.....

The thing is, her mane is already nice and thin. So do I just cut it? I have heard to never cut it, but how do I sorten it without thinning it?

Thanks

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
My Dad never used to pull a horse's mane when he was showing. What he would do is get one of those thinning razors like this

Basically, what that does is cuts the mane instead of pulling it, but gives it the non-blunt "pulled" look without thinning it out.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Razor comb.

My appaloosa has a very thin mane. No pulling allowed. I shorten it by using a razor comb. Like This.

You do not cut the hair at the base of the neck. That will thin the mane and make a braiding nightmare.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Razor comb.

My appaloosa has a very thin mane. No pulling allowed. I shorten it by using a razor comb. Like This.

You do not cut the hair at the base of the neck. That will thin the mane and make a braiding nightmare.
So would I hold the bottom of the mane tight and "cut" it with the razor comb? If not, how would I use it?

Thanks

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
If you rub the comb on the mane like you do when you are pushing the mane up to pull it, it will cut in a more natural looking way.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
what i do when they have a long but thin mane is flip it over to the other side and cut or clip it, then flip it back over and pull it a little. if you cut it over on the other side it doesnt look hacked.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, could I just use a razor blade (not a shaving razor, but like a razor knife blade) instead of the tool AlwaysBehind suggested?

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.