The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 1/2 year old filly (Lilly). Just recently she started pulling back on the lead, which I think is being caused by the movement of my hand under her nose (where she can't see it) moving up all of a sudden. It startles her. Then I think this caused her to jerk her head up and panic because she feels a sharp pull on her rope halter from pulling back. She has done this four times now, but never gotten loose.

What I have been doing is just holding her by the tie ring and making that startling motion and 99% of the time she doesn't react, but that 1% of the time she had a reaction (I think it's when she cant see my hand then it appears) and lifted up her head up. When this happened I would Slowly let her back up, slowing her down with little pressure on the lead. She only took 3 steps at the most then came forward again like nothing happened. Is this just teaching her she can pull back?

My first reaction to this was shes head shy, but shes not. It's just that action of not seeing my hand under her chin then it all of a sudden coming at her lead. You can do jumping jacks around her head and she wont bat and eye.

Does anyone have and suggestions to both my problems? I don't want her scared of that movement, but I also don't want her pulling back. What should I be doing and was what I was doing wrong? What would you do?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also teach my horses to tie even before I introduce them to the saddle. This is a vital lesson for them in many circumstances. I tie them securely to my hitching post, grab a chair a good book and sit and watch them work their own issues out. I don't interfere in the lesson. I do this consistently for about a week and within no time they are standing tied with no issues at all. I use a rope halter and a thick rope to ensure that they cannot break the tie as I have seen horses turn into monsters once they discover that they can break free.

Good luck
Thanks for the help so far!!!!

I do the EXACT same thing! Except she has been tying for over a year and never done this before. I use my Clinton Anderson halter and my Parelli style lead (same material, but no safety snap - so it won't break).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.