The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
I watch all types of people leading horses. Most have their hand almost on the halter and no slack in the lead line.
I lead mine with at least 3 feet of slack and he may not walk beside me. He must be slightly to the rear but in no way do I have pressure on him. If I stop he must stop and without passing me.

The majority lead with far too much contact, far to short a lead.
Give the poor guy some slack, teach it what you want and then trust it to do so.
I know this is a mare but she does not need to be lead around by the halter ring or 6 inches of taunt lead.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
I never tie by the halter. I am not talking about cross tying. I am tieing to the hitching post so to speak. I always tie with a neck rope, never the halter and living in amish country you will never see them tie by a halter, never. I try to tie wither height and about an arms length and I tie solid.
If the horse chooses to pull back, so be it. I don't discipline for this. I ignore but he will stay tied and if something stupid upsets him causing him to pull I will repeat said offense until he is tired of fighting.
Leave her tied properly to something strong every day for grooming, saddling and working around the barn and if moving your hand to the halter ring upsets her, so be it. Do it until she learns it will not hurt her.
Tie proper , tie to something solid, about your arms length and make sure it is strong enough that she can not break it.
This behaviour could go on for months off and on so EVERY TIME you tie her think that today she could fight the tie so tie tight and proper.

I do not discipline for a horse fighting this tie.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.