The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, wondering if anyone has any input on how they feel about pulling collars as opposed to your normal breast collar on a western saddle.
I have all normal ones and I use a piece of saddle string or paracord to hold it up to where it fits their angle of their shoulder better (like this) though I still cannot really get it to follow the angle all that well, I can only make it slightly better

I would like to get a pulling collar. I think they not only look better aesthetically but likely are more comfortable for the horse. But I do not know how to Attach them. I have noticed that they seem to have a strap under the pommel to connect to for each side. How does the strap go on there though? Here it kind of looks like you wrap it around and then stick it through some type of buckle thing?

advice would be appreciated!

Reactions: JoBlueQuarter

·
Super Moderator
12,686 Posts
What you have done will likely cause more irritation than help with something that isn't really an issue that I can tell.

Do you have an issue with your saddle slipping back? Is the terrain overly rugged and hard to navigate with steep inclines?

Unless you are riding in that type of situation or working and roping cattle really no need for the other.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I have never really needed a breast collar except perhaps on a bareback pad. That said, both collars function similarly. For the string or paracord, I would go ahead and use a leather strap there. The shoulder is a very high motion area so ensuring it fits properly without rubbing is important. If it is currently rubbing, then change it out.

·
Super Moderator
10,045 Posts
I really thought I wanted a pulling collar. I had trouble with fit until I got one made for the couple horses I use for roping large stock.

I most often use a regular "Y" breast collar. Primarily because I ride in very hilly country. If I know we'll be doctoring, and the collar benefits the horse, I'll change to it. It's rarely used.

·
Registered
825 Posts
A wither strap would be better than the paracord. I prefer to use English style breastcollars for trail riding because I like how they fit over the withers with the strap.

I do have a pulling collar though, for my western endurance saddle. I bought it in one of the Facebook Two Horse Tack auctions thinking it was a regular breastcollar. Doh! Ended up keeping it because it’s a nice wide beta biothane with the waffle padding and fancy stitching. And to get it regular price would have been a lot more than the $40 I paid.

The straps unbuckle, run under the fork? (arch?) of the pommel, loop through the rings and buckle back into place. I leave the straps on my saddle most of the time and then just buckle it up

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I always used to put a wither strap on my breastcollars to get them up off of the shoulder, just seemed like a more comfortable fit.
I recently made myself a pulling collar type and really love the fit of it.
We ride in lots of pretty serious hills so I use it quite a lot, it works good for roping, and I even pack it along to barrel races.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I do a combination of either a wither strap on a regular breast collar or an interesting pulling collar/trail breast collar hybrid that a friend gave me. I DO like the way a pulling collar fits so even though I have never officially purchased one, I have rigged up any breast collar I use to fit like a pulling collar. It's pretty easy to rig something up at home if you have some scrap leather or even a nylon dog leash. Here is an old thread on the subject. Unfortunately it looks like a lot of the photos have gone missing, but if you scroll through to post #12 you can see an example of how to get your breast collar attachments to run through the saddle fork. If you rig up something like that, then ANY regular western breast collar will fit like a pulling collar! :)

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Here is my current favorite breast collar. This is the one I call a hybrid of a pulling collar/ trail breast collar because it is shaped like a pulling collar but goes over the neck and then attaches with small tugs. Because of my horn bags you can't see how I have straps run though my gullet to attach all my breast collars higher up, but even a normal western breast collar will fit like a pulling collar if you can rig up some straps through the gullet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts