The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purina Mills is in the process of reformulated and is converting/or have converted(depending on part of country and which mill your dealer gets your feed from) all of their feed products to this new formula. Gone is the fat supplement Athlete from all their feeds and they replaced it with their newest fat supplement Amplify. There are a few more changes too. Purina has said that while ingredients have changed there is no changes in the Tags. fat, fiber, vitamin, and protein levels have NOT changed.

They kind of put out a low key advertising campaign alluding to something revolutionary happening at Purina.(seen small boards and fliers at the feed dealer) Online their website I have not found any info alluding to this change. If your mill has changed over the bag design will be different and there will be a small 2" or so (something..Something.. )and the Word Amplify on the bag.

1. If you use Purina feeds I would like to know if you know of this change either having been notified by the dealer or other?

2. If you are using this feed and you know or have through this post figured out that your using this feed what is your opinion of it and how your horse is doing on it.

3. What is your reaction to Purina's move?

Strategy and Ultium are pellet feeds and I am not sure of their status so I am just asking about the grain based products only.

Thank You

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I am not a fan of Purina at all. I won't use or recommend any of their feeds or supplements. I am not a fan of any sweets feeds or grain mixes at all for that matter.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
1. If you use Purina feeds I would like to know if you know of this change either having been notified by the dealer or other?
I don't use their feeds they could PAY me to use their feeds. But Yes I was aware of the change BEFORE it went into effect ONLY because I talk to my dealer alot

2. If you are using this feed and you know or have through this post figured out that your using this feed what is your opinion of it and how your horse is doing on it.
NA IMO they are still least cost junk feeds adding something doesn't make a difference

Just another marketing poly to make people think they are better then they are

·
Registered
346 Posts
I love Purina feeds especially Equine Jr. And yes I did know about the change.

I stopped using Purina feeds last fall due to having to drive 40 miles each way to get it and the unbelieveable price hikes.

I wonder since gas etc is down this year if these dang feed companies will lower the prices back down. Probably not but I guess a girl can dream LOL. After all they kept blaming the gas prices for all the hikes

·
Registered
9,857 Posts
I won't use Purina Feeds either - for a couple reasons but the most important one is:

They spent ten years (so they say) researching to put the WellSolve line on the market for "special needs horses".

That would be fat horses and horses with insulin resistance.

Their WellSolve L/S (low starch for metabolic horses) does NOT list iron ppm. To keep this story short, a gal on my local forum called Purina to verify that there is, indeed, over 800ppm of iron in the WellSovle.

The lady at Purina admitted there is:shock:

Well we are all sorry, but the acceptable amount for a healthy horse is ~270PPM:shock::shock:

Metabolic horses cannot tolerate a lot of iron because it blocks copper, zinc and I THINK chromium from doing their jobs in maintaining proper glucose levels.

Metabolic = Type II equine diabetic = maintaining glucose levels crucial to the health and well being of that horse.

All that research they professed to have done and this is the best they can come up with?

Why I feed pelleted, stabilized rice bran instead------------------

·
Registered
989 Posts
Well since my own horse become IR symptomatic (I honestly haven't had blood work done but my gut says he is so I feed him accordingly)...I haven't fed any Purina. I'm surprised they announced this change in the formula since they always admit that their ingredients list changes from bag to bag based on availability and cost at any given time. That's why they have "such and such products" listed on their ingredients instead of "oats." I just like to know exactly what is in the ingredients every time every bag.:?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I'm looking into the new Senior feeds now...considering switching my old fart rescue over. He's gained a ton of weight on Strategy, but has pretty much come to a standstill o-o ******.

I found out through my local feed store after I talked to them about getting a better feed to give my gelding since he's going to be working harder now. Strategy won't be able to keep up alone.

My rescue gelding has gained a lot of weight with Strategy, but has since stopped to be honest. A lot is also exercise and what not, but I don't feed him 8 pounds a day to give him a belly. With my other geldings I have been generally pleased, as it keeps them in a decent condition when just sitting and eating.

Interesting. I am looking into the Senior feeds. Not to convinced with there new Hard-working feeds though, such as 200 and 500. They have less than Strategy, how is this going to keep my working horse in good shape? O-o'

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
is Purina the ONLY brand you can get?? I would look more to Triple Crown complete or senior which are both low NSC and fixed formula with better nutrition :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.