The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are horses that are use to Purina Ultium competition formula able to switch to the purina gastric care feed automatically or do they need to be slowly added onto it

·
Registered
14,334 Posts
Are horses that are use to Purina Ultium competition formula able to switch to the purina gastric care feed automatically or do they need to be slowly added onto it
I think it would depend on just how touchy your horses stomach is. If you're just switching because you want to prevent issues, then you're probably ok just switching. If the horse has stomach issues and is prone to ulcers/colic every time a fly f*rts, then I'd switch slowly. I would look at the labels and make some small adjustments in the amounts fed, the gastric care formula is a little bit different from the competition formula.

·
Super Moderator
12,694 Posts
My understanding is Ultium Gastric Care is Ultium with Outlast added. The Outlast is their proprietary mineral supplement to keep PH in range and can be purchased separately and added to any feed.. I thought it also had a yeast supplement included but may be wrong on that that may be just part of the Ultium mix.

·
Super Moderator
14,771 Posts
Same recipe as Ultium Competition {blue bag} the Gastric Care {purple bag} has tummy helpers just added in.

Since you add this, that or something else often to your horses diets in supplements/food changes do they have issues of reactions when you start or stop those additions?
If not....make sure you read the bag directions for feeding as they could be different with a variation now to the recipe.
It never hurts to introduce small amounts...
Say you feed 4 pounds of feed 2x a day...
Replace 1 pound of what you are feeding with the new product...{3 pounds old with 1 pound new}
Do for a few feedings then up the amount replaced again till you have a complete changeover done.
You're adding a supplement, not changing the base food product.
:runninghorse2:...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.