Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

So until I get a chance to do some serious research of my own, I thought I'd pick your guys' brains about the differences between Purina Senior and Purina Senior Active and which is going to be better for putting weight on a group of older (think 25+) horses that are worked lightly (5 max 15 minute walk-only lessons per day) up to 4 days of the week. They have super green round bales available when they're turned out. When they're stalled for lessons they get high quality, green flakes ad lib. Some of them do have difficultly chewing hay and don't eat as much as they probably should.

Opinions? Experiences?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Of those two I'd pick the Active Senior feed as it's lower starch and higher in fat.

However I'd rather give a ration balancer and some sort of fat supplement honestly, rather than those two feeds.

·
Super Moderator
26,591 Posts
My personal experience with Purina Senior wasn't that great. My horse had issues processing the feed and his poop was like water and he lost a lot of weight while on it. I had him on Triple Crowne Senior which was amazing until the local dealer went out of business so he is now on SafeChoice Senior and I'm pretty happy with it.

My weanling is on Purina junior and is doing fine though... just something about the senior formula that my guy couldn't handle...

·
Super Moderator
13,938 Posts
I happened to pick up literature on exactly this from Purina the other day when buying some other supplies...

From what I read it is the addition of a ActivAge Prebiotic....

This is exactly copied directly from their informative brochure...
"A prebiotic promotes the growth of beneficial organisms in the horse'e gut. ActivAge prebiotic is produced through Purina's proprietary process so you get a consistent, stable product."
Goes on to say it is proven to...
1. protect against inflammation
2. strengthen immune function
3. boost response to vaccination.

Also on the brochure is this, "There was a 3 year study performed by Purina in collaboration with the University of Kentucky Gluck Equine Research Center, horses were fed either original Purina Equine Senior or new Equine Senior horse feed with ActivAge prebiotic.
The results showed that ActivAge prebiotic helps protect against inflammation and improve vaccination response."
Here is a link to more information...
Visit SeniorActivAge.com to read our full research review.

{all of this information is directly taken from their brochure}

I have not seen the feed, fed the feed, or anything else with this feed. I only picked up and read their brochure.......:wink:

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
It's going to depend on the senior. The Activ is for seniors that can still eat hay. The regular for those who can't.

Equine Senior® Horse Feed

Scientifically formulated to support the unique needs of senior horses and help support the aging immune system.

Formulated for older horses, especially those that may be losing body condition due to poor digestion, dental problems or missing teeth.

Equine Senior® Active Horse Feed

Designed to meet the unique nutritional needs of your active senior horse.

Formulated for active aging horses that can still chew and digest hay.

Per Purina's own website.

Horse Feed & Horse Supplements | Purina Mills

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All of the above responses have been so helpful! Thank you to everyone...I definitely understand the two feeds better now. :]

Even if the horse is still able to chew and digest hay properly, could it not still be beneficial to feed them the regular senior? especially since these horses aren't necessarily heavily exercised? Perhaps that's simply about what the individual horse needs nutritionally and does best on...

·
Super Moderator
13,938 Posts
Wow...I'm surprised no one got back to you on your last question....

Yes, it would probably benefit both the horses who have difficulty chewing and then digesting their hay and feed to be fed a Senior ration and for those who can still chew and eat hay to be fed it also.
The making of that ration is what sets it apart from other feeds is my understanding.
A different type of processing is used where the product can be broken down and utilized easier by the body in absorbing nutrients.
As the body gets older it doesn't work as efficiently same as humans....you need to "tweak" the recipe or foods sometimes for best results.

True senior feeds are usually a complete feed meaning a horse can live and thrive fed the right amount of senior feed. Roughage, vitamins and minerals and added supplementation in correct amounts are added into the recipe. That recipe when fed correctly according to bag also need not have hay fed and it can also be fed wet so it can be slurped for those with serious dental issues.
There are many manufacturers of feeds and most all of them have "senior" feed. There are differences in percentages of protein, fiber and fats from manufacturer to manufacturer..so some homework on your behalf to be a informed consumer is needed.

Ohhh.... I read bag labels all the time. One common thing I see near all bags of Senior state it is safe to feed to any equine over the very young growing years.

Here are several articles all with information about senior feed. From the largest and most recognized manufacturers of horse feed...
Senior Horse Feed
Feeding the Older Horse - Southern States Cooperative
Feeding The Senior Horse | Seminole Feed
Equine Senior horse feed l Purina Mills

The articles are in no particular order just how they presented in a search hoping more information will give you more understanding of feeding needs of a older equine.
I hope it helped what I wrote and linked to answer some of your questions.
:wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.