The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I apologize in advance for not having a video of this. The only one is YEARS old, and I look like a floppy chicken :hide:

ANYWHO. My barrel gelding is very push style. I don't like to spur and whip the entire pattern, and the only other thing I can do to keep him running is the keep my hands actively pushing, and to be up in my seat between barrels. Any other tips?
He does have a very wonky, rocking horse run that's hard to sit, but he sits and turns dang nice around a barrel.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
There isn't much to do with a push style except PUSH lol! Which sounds like your doing. You HAVE to keep riding hard to keep the forward momentum. My one gelding is a Free Runner and my other is a Push Style...and lets just say I am having to adjust to the Push Style and sometimes I quit riding and it bites me in the butt.

Some people can get along with them and pushing and being an aggressive rider comes naturally to them, while others prefer the free rollers. And you can very rarely change a push style horse and turn them into a free runner, it is just their individual style of running.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Just push. One thing I do is kiss/ or click my tounge most of the run to push my horse. I also carry a whip, I only use it on the way home but just knowing I have it perks my gelding up. Can't do much else if your already pushing him.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
8,282 Posts
Spurs are for lateral movements; not for getting a horse to go faster.

With my horses, I find it much more efficient to simply squeeze with my calves and kiss/cluck verbally, rather than to KICK them in the belly. They seem to respond better to squeezing.

I just feel like doing this doesn't get you very far. You lose all contact with your horse. And he's gonna get whaled on when those legs come down. JMO

Always make sure you don't lean too far forward with your body. You don't want to get ahead of your horse. You don't want your body weight on their shoulders. You want to keep the shoulders free by keeping your legs and seat "in the saddle" while leaning ahead with your upper body, if that makes sense.

I tried to find a picture of a riding leaning too far forward and this one on the left is the best I could find.

Whereas in this picture, even though she is leaning way forward with her upper body, her seat and legs are still "with" her horse.

Whips will vary for each horse. Some it will slow them down; others it will work well. Just kind of have to know your horse, and know your timing.

But yes, as barrelracinglvr said: PUSH!!

I find that breezing a push-style horse frequently during the week (maybe once or twice a week) helps them "remember" how to run. But of course, each horse will be a little different on that and you know your horse best.

Reactions: Cynical25
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.