The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know not to do this, but is it bad? Before I bought Carly, I went to check her out and she had a coat on her. Like, a horse coat for the winter. As did many of the other horses at that barn. It was cold enough to wear a light jacket but that's it. And it wasn't dark out to be colder. I mean, I didn't ask about it and I don't do this but is it...bad or harmful to the horse?

p.s. the horse has no problems with keeping warm...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I had never blanketed any of my horses until Ty. The blanket and sheet came with him. When I went to put it on him the first time, the BO told me not to that it wasn't cold enough. He said that it would make the horse sweat. If the sweat kept going through the same cycle, that the salt in it would make the hair fall out. I personally don't know how much truth this holds, but the way I see it is that the wild horses out west don't have blankets. And I know the old farmers who had the work horses never blanketed theirs. I'm just happy with the stall open to the paddock that she can get into if it does get cold. Along with the door I can close when we get bombarded with snow...lol

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
well it depend on the weather, horses coat, and horses health, and blanket.
no i dont think thats bad for the hroses health... unless the horse starts overheating, which, you have to be the judge of that before you put the blanket on. :p

·
Registered
868 Posts
My blankets are medium and light weight and he's never sweated in either of them and they are usually only on at night unless it's a particularly cold day. Keeps him from going crazy fuzzy threw winter.

It snowed 1 day here....literally. I just throw one on when it gets to mid to low 40's

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
That reminds me. I forgot to take Piper's blanket off. She's my first that I've blanketed. I've been keeping it on her because the temperature out here goes from warm to cold to freezing and then to rain to snow and then sunshine. I only go out every other day right now so I just leave it on her. It's been about 30 to 40 degrees out lately so I'm going to take it off and leave it off unless it gets colder out again.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Oh also wanted to add I have issue's with him losing weight when it gets cold. The blanket does help him retain his some of his weight.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The blanket was probably on her to keep her from getting to wooly in her winter coat. Makes their coat look nicer for a potential buyer

·
Registered
323 Posts
wow!!! i feel like i over rug!!
in winter my horse gets clipped coz his coat is like a yak! so get gets:
polar fleece rug
doona rug
and a winter synthetic combo with 300mg fill

here u all r taking about putting a light rug on in the SNOW!!! in western australia it doesn't snow! we get temperatures of 4 degrees celcius with rain and maybe hail but never snow (we wish!!)

it depends on what ur horse is doing, showing or not, if the horse is usually rugged, and what feed they get. i find that horses that r hardto keep on weight so they get rugged more then the average horse. i don't do major shows, i event and do a few showjumping things but nothing really showy. and he sees grass and gets fat!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.