The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new trimmer says quarter flares are caused by the heels being too high. He says that is because the hoof grows down and forward from the back, and if there is too much growth this is where it comes out.

I have heard that about heel growth (they grow down and forward), but what do you guys think about this being the cause of quarter flares? All of my guys get them, and I'd like that to stop happening. Since I'm going to be doing at least half of their trimming moving forward, I'd like to know what to do about it.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one has any opinions about this?

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
I'd say quarter flares could be from heels being left long, but most hoof imbalances can't be just given a simple one size fits all reason that applies to every horse.

For example, a horse could have a quarter flare because of white line disease in that area of the hoof wall that creates a loss of connection. It could also be from laminitis that created a loss of connection.

Probably most often I've seen quarter flares because the toes were not kept trimmed back enough and this allowed the hoof wall to grow more forward and the heels to run forward into the quarter area. Simply lowering the heels without bringing the toe back will not help the heels to grow down further back and straighter, it will just dump more weight on the heels.

Without seeing your hooves, I would guess the toes are being left to grow too far forward since all your horses have this issue. Remember the toes also grow down and forward, so can't just be brought down to the sole or they will keep going forward. Some must be trimmed off the front of the toe as well.

I personally usually put my hoof on a stand after trimming the bottom, and rasp the toe wall back at the lower edge of the hoof.

·
Premium Member
23,932 Posts
Agree with all of the above except...
For example, a horse could have a quarter flare because of white line disease in that area of the hoof wall that creates a loss of connection. It could also be from laminitis that created a loss of connection.
IME there may be breakdown of connection/separation from infection, but unless the wall is also under unhealthy mechanical force, it will not distort/flare.

IME the most common reason for quarter flares are run forward heels & bars - which as Gotta said, often go along with run forward toes too. I'd say quarter walls being left flat to the ground surface, left under too much pressure, so they distort out are the other biggest reason.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I think another thing that could lead to this is with the "pillars". When the toe gets long it can square off on it's own from the horses movement. Then the pillars are left long with thick wall. If the heels are pushing forward but the pillars are thick and unyielding, then it makes sense (to me) that the quarters would buckle. Also the wall width is thick in the pillars and the heels and not as thick in the quarters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts