The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
April was a rescue as a 2 month old. Her mom was a beautiful Qh her dad was suppose to be a QH and was told he was a barrel racer. We just hoping for her to be a trail horse for trails around our farm. She just turned 3. Any thoughts about her Conformation? She is almost 13.2 hands. She is a super sweet, kind little mare :)

Attachments

·
Registered
49,777 Posts
Well , `13.2 at almost three years of age is pretty small.

she has very much sickle hocked back legs and camped out behind, too. If you lined up her rear canon in the position where it was most vertical, it would be well behind the farthest back point of her buttocks.

her front pasterns are long and too flat in those pictrues (not vertical enough). heels are starting to look run under. Her hip is small and her coupling is not strong. entire back end is , unfortunately, not strong. Her shoulder is her best feature. her neck is ok, but a bit thick and not much throatlatch. a bit of what is called "hammerheaded".

To be honest, her conformation is not very good. That's really blunt, and I am sure it's not fun to hear that. I bet she is sweet, and will be a good trail horse. Conformation can sometimes be limiting, but good head and heart can overcome a lot!

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
This mare looks like the twin of a mare at my previous barn. 13.2 is short, but she's probably just from the short end of the QH breed. Diamond, the mare who looks so much like your horse- was also 13.2hh and built pretty much identical to your mare. She was 9 and had a terrible temperament and the bounciest trot I've ever sat, but I'm sure your gal is much sweeter and her shoulder is decent, so many she won't be quite so bumpy.

However, her fetlocks almost look dropped to me. Those are some VERY long, VERY angled pasterns , especially in the front. I'm wondering if a better farrier job will change how poorly angled they are though. TinyLiny summed up the rest of her conformation nicely so I won't repeat anything except that I think her upside down neck will improve once she's under saddle and using herself properly. Hopefully her topline and hind will pick up a little as well and she'll look much nicer.

Either way I can't see why she isn't capable of being a trail horse for a smaller person. She looks like a sweetheart!

·
Registered
749 Posts
She has a very short thick neck with an unrefined throat latch to start but it ties into her best feature which is her shoulder. She is over at the knee with some very concerning pasterns all the way around, they're long and quite angled. She's in need of a good farrier as well to get those hooves under control. She also looks very narrow, although she very well may fill out in the coming years. Moving back her back is alright but attached to a very weak hip who's angles don't match the shoulder. She is very camped out behind and is also sickle hocked.

The first thing that stood out to me in all of the pictures though was how her back left leg is turning in in the walking away photo. I'd be concerned about soundness issues with her unfortunately, now and in the future with how she is built. However the angle of that picture could be very deceiving since it's at an angle.

Take her build into consideration when she's started ( I'd turn her out for the winter and start her next spring to give her more room to grow up. She is still very young looking, I wouldn't ride her yet and I'm not even 100lbs. However I tend to be pretty cautious about waiting with youngsters) Let a nice light weight person start her nice and slowly, she will most likely be very unbalanced with her build and it will take careful conditioning to bring out the best in her. She should make a nice trail horse, providing you aren't doing crazy trails with lots of steep hills and rough terrain but I wouldn't ask much more from her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.