The Horse Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day/night all.

I recently took in a rescue mare. She's nothing what I was led to believe about her (height and physical condition were incorrect). Anyway, with her height and build, I'm curious on what breed she is. The people I got her from had no idea. And with the way she's built, I'm curious if she's a quarter pony.

I've never seen a known quarter pony before so I'm not sure of the characteristics to look out for. What features definite a pony to be one? I looked it up a bit but didn't see too many good pictures to show examples either but it said their height is 11.2 - 14.2 hh.

This girl, Mia, is 11.3 hh. She's also built very solid (now that she's put on weight) as well as has a horse sized head. Pony halters are too small so I have to use full horse sized halters and such on her. She's got decent bone on her for her size and looks to me kind of like a mini Quarter Horse.
What are your guys thoughts?
It's the black mare just to be clear. Does have a bit of a left over mom belly since she had a baby last summer.
Horse Sky Snow Working animal Liver
Hair Horse Eye Vertebrate Shetland pony

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
She looks like a grade pony of no particular breed, to me. I'd expect a Quarter Pony to have heavily muscled shoulders and rear end, with a downhill aspect. She doesn't appear to have any of those, from the photos -- which are not super great for assessing conformation.

·
Super Moderator
16,082 Posts
She's cute and warm, woolly and fuzzy looking.
I googled some pictures of Quarter Ponies out of curiosity. Blurb reads like a quarter horse but smaller..
Horse Plant Liver Grass Grassland
Horse Working animal Tree Horse supplies Plant

I think like in all animals, horses specifically....there is variation in size and bone build and everything else you can name and think of. I saw so many pictures of cleaned up and conditioned animals, but they still had resemblances of the pictures I shared and of the one standing, eating your hay in winter snow.
Her head not fitting "pony" tack to me is a plus...and her parts fits together well by the look of her.
Good bone, good weight, decently sized...
I think the pony is cute and a pony.
What "breed" type not matter to me and it sounds was a freebie and no papers arrived with it....
So make it whatever you want. In the end you have a lovely grade pony who is probably worth their weight in gold with what you ask of it.
Enjoy.
🐴... jmo...

·
Registered
8,500 Posts
I used to work with this sweet little grade mare. She was said to be a Quarter Pony but who knows for sure. She was probably in the 14.0-14.1 range and built like the proverbial tank. Her demeanor made her worth her weight in gold- you could trust her with anyone, from an excited kid to a nervous adult beginner to a young man with severe disabilities. She's happily retired now, and earned every minute of pampering she receives.

Horse Snow Working animal Terrestrial animal Dog breed

Horse Plant Working animal Horse tack Bit

Horse Window Working animal Bit Horse tack

·
Registered
228 Posts
Don't think she is a quarter pony but she sure is cute. Good conformation too. You really lucked into her

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a lil sorrel quarder pony named Taco however he is 12.6 hands.He is quite a bit more stocky thow. She's real pretty thow!

·
Registered
48 Posts
She looks around how my horse looks. Pony halter is too small, and regular horse halter is too big, so I get a cob size. Not sure if you ever tried that but I consider her a cob.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback. She's still in the process of getting halter broke and all that so I don't have many good pictures of her, plus being black against white snow makes for hard to see pictures lol. And I guess her breed will forever remain a mystery. Maybe I'll try to do a DNA test one day and see what that says.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts