The Horse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me any info on this mare's bloodlines? I'n highly curious and know literally nothing about Quarterhorse and Paint bloodlines. I'm a Tennessee Walking Horse person, not a QH and Paint person, lol.

Minnie Blue Hawk Paint

·
Registered
504 Posts
No real big names that I recognize up close, but she does have some older foundation breeding further back. You've got some Three Bars (not foundation), a little Bert, a drop of Poco Bueno, and a bit of Skipper W. The combination of Poco Bueno and Skipper W makes me instantly think "bat sh!t crazy" but there's not a whole lot of it, so she might be ok. Poco Bueno lines are big carriers of HERDA though, so beware. I never knowingly buy a Poco Bueno horse with a negative five-panel. I like the Three Bars and Bert, but seeing the Poco Bueno/Skipper W cross make me want to run away. That may just be prejudice from personal experience talking though. You generally either love them or hate them. I've never heard anyone who was actually neutral on that subject.

If I had some pictures I might be able to give you a better idea of which influences seem to be strongest. *hint hint* :wink:

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Mainly just horses with papers until you get further back, and not real typey back then.

Photo?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me upload some pics, lol. I'll have them up shortly.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Bad pic, but the only one I have on photobucket of her.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't know anything about the immediate horses on the papers, but I personally love Skipper W and Poco Bueno horses. Both lines are known for phenomenal ranch horses and being incredibly strong and smart. I personally own a Poco Bueno mare and have bred her to Skipper W studs, offspring has been consistently well built, smart and really nice temperaments. Might just be the way we raise them, but each one started under saddle has been easy as can be and has never bucked (knock on wood that it stays that way). It may also be luck, but I have never had lameness issues or any kind of health issues with these horses, had plenty of problems with the paint horses. People need to stop breeding for color and pay attention to feet and conformation! Oh, and some paint horses end up bat crap crazy from this too. Ok, mini rant over.

I have never owned a Poco Bueno or Skipper W that was hyper and I could ask them to do just about anything I they did it without hesitation. Only problem is they are smart, sometimes smarter than their owners which sometimes leads to them quickly learning bad behaviors.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Only problem is they are smart, sometimes smarter than their owners which sometimes leads to them quickly learning bad behaviors.
That's probably why I've had so many problems with them. I've only ever gotten them second hand from not-so-great situations. This lead to them being very dominant and pushy. I was able to train it out of them, but it wasn't fun. That's especially true with the gelding I have now. He's a registered paint...minus the paint. I think he was the product of someone's pet QH mare bred to the neighbor's purrrty paint stud and oh look it's a solid bay. He ended up starved and dumped at an action. He definitely came with more than his fair share of awful behaviors. :-|

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's probably why I've had so many problems with them. I've only ever gotten them second hand from not-so-great situations. This lead to them being very dominant and pushy. I was able to train it out of them, but it wasn't fun. That's especially true with the gelding I have now. He's a registered paint...minus the paint. I think he was the product of someone's pet QH mare bred to the neighbor's purrrty paint stud and oh look it's a solid bay. He ended up starved and dumped at an action. He definitely came with more than his fair share of awful behaviors. :-|
Yes, that happens. My personality problem child I bought for my hubs and this horse was raised by people who though that is was cute when he picked up items in his mouth which has led to a habit of destruction. He is a fabulous performer and my hubs loves him, so that keeps him off my [email protected]$t list for now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts