The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love Fjord horses but have noticed a few comments saying they are very rough to ride. Is this a breed characteristic or just an individual trait?

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
The Fjord was bred as a dual purpose horse. It is recommended to not put them into work until 4 and they will be sound and working at 30+. If the horse has fairly upright pasterns then it will be rough. Collection helps. I rode a half Fjord and her gaits were fine.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
There are 3 Fjords at my barn and the 2 that I've ridden aren't any rougher or smoother than your average horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
174 Posts
I know a Fjord used for hippotherapy and in school group lessons. When ridden, her gaits are really smooth - I would liken her to a boat floating.

From time to time she needs a harder hand because she decides to go in the direction she feels like going, but this might be the result of her being ridden by many different people - some of which at beginner level at best. Generally she is very good-natured.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
You get your smooth and rough rides in any breed, but yes, typically Fjords aren't very long-strided and can be rough at times. If they are trotting well, they are smooth. However many Fjords i've met would rather just trot faster than run and that is when they will rattle your jaw loose lol.
Fantastic breed, though!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm from Norway and I learned to ride on Fjords, they are not rough to ride. Maybe a few of them are but that is well all breeds out there will always be some rough ones. Fjords can do FEI dressage, and jump over 3 feet, it all depends on it's training. Fjords are great breed!!!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
^^this. I'm also from Norway and had much of my formal training on Fjords. We did dressage, longe - line lessons, and jumped up to 3 feet on them. No problems. No "roughness". Very level-headed, tolerant, and versatile horses. I wish I could afford one here in the US so my kids could experience what I did as a kid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.