The Horse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a one-year-old miniature pony the other day from a neglected situation. I’m curious to what her breed might be; it’s a little hard to tell with her unkempt coat. The previous owner was selling her mother as well, but I’m more familiar identifying horse breeds than pony breeds! I asked about the stallion’s breed which he didn’t own, and he just told me his colour.
The photos are from the ad the owner posted. The filly I renamed Lindy, and the mother’s name is Snowy.
Lindy is now getting the help she needs, and is happy and friendly!

·
Registered
14,896 Posts
Look like miniature horses to me. If the mare is under 38 inches, and the filly matures to that height or under, that's what they are, little horses, not ponies.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look like miniature horses to me. If the mare is under 38 inches, and the filly matures to that height or under, that's what they are, little horses, not ponies.
Sorry, wrong term. I'm not asking what terminology the filly is, I'm curious what breed it is. I have no clue how tall she should mature, because he said the stallion was larger than the filly's mother.

·
Registered
14,896 Posts
The breed, as far as I know is miniature horse. The sire could be a miniature too, as long as he's under 38". Miniatures are a man made breed I believe. They don't have a stocky build or bone of, say a Shetland pony.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Mini IS a breed. They look like miniature horses to me. I have a 34" dun stallion. The filly is very pretty with a dished face. Can you possibly groom the winter hair off them?

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
Very small ponies are called Miniature Horses. They are supposed to be shaped like horses, not ponies, hence the name, I guess. However, most of them look like ponies anyway. Minis were bred down from small Shetlands and no doubt a few other very small pony breeds.

It is confusing because, frankly, the name is a silly modern invention. There have always been very small ponies (called "ponies" and indistinguishable from Miniature Horses), and some have been selected to look more refined than is typical for ponies.

They've taken off in popularity as equine pets that fit into a small space. A whole mythological history has been concocted for them. Much like cat breeds.

You undoubtedly have a mini there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts