The Horse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a percheron paint cross mare. and she grows smalls feathers off the back of her ankles. but I was wondering if theres anyway to get full feathers to grow on her, since shes already got the draft factor. I know it wont be huge flowing ones like gypsies or anything but.......any ideas?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I dont know if that is something you can promote or something that happens with breeding. Maybe someone else will know more about that but I would say just let everything that will grow grow out and see how long the hair will get. My horses aren't draftX and they get that hair as well so it could just be how ever long it gets is what its going to do. I know for hair growth on manes/tails/wounds alot of people (including me) use a product called MTG but I dont know if it would give you the effect your looking for.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, I thought about trying MTG but then I also had the thought of it you'd leave it or wrap it or what? im not sure

·
Registered
702 Posts
I dont think there's a way to make them grow faster but they'll get longer with time, but i dont think they'll ever get like full draft feathers.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
It is a genetic factor more than anything. If her parents didn't have full feathers, then more than likely she wont either. Percheron's done tend to have full feathers anyway. Growing feathers is like trying to get a thick, full tail equivalent to say a welshie, from a tb with a naturally thin tail. It's just not going to happen. All you can do it allow them to grow without trimming them, and keep them clean to fluff them out a bit. But you're never going to get full feathers with her.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i don't think there's any way to increase the amount of feather that she grows, but a lot of people swear by MTG to promote the growth of the feathers she already has.

I have a gypsy, so I'm an involuntary pro at the maintenance of feathers:roll:.

My advice would be to start the coronet band and pull all the feathers up and comb them from underneath, moving your way up the leg. This helps to keep them from getting matted and lets air get to them, and makes them look nice and poofy along the way:D

Try to keep them dry as well, when they get wet they can get scratches or the hair can dry out and break off. Hope I helped a little bit

·
Registered
634 Posts
i have gypsy cobs and i use pig oil with sulphur,and i can,t swear to it but it does seem to encourage growth ,having said that the growth has to be there in the 1st place

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea, thanks to everyone that answered. and she's six. but i dont actually think she'll get much of anything, hopefully her foal will since I think the stallion were breeding her too has a little more feather than her

1 - 10 of 10 Posts