The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I am going to purchase a M. Toulouse Premia saddle and I read somewhere that since the leather is really soft that you should only use calfskin lined leathers? (or something like that :wink:) However, I really do not have the money to buy such expensive leathers :( I saw some synthetic ones that looked nice but I don't want to ruin my new saddle. Does anyone know if the lined leathers stretch?

Any opinions? I would really appreciate any comments:D

Here is the link to the saddle I am going to order
Horse & Rider, ETC.: M Toulouse Premia Close Contact English Saddle
Hopefully it works:)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Calfskin leathers typically contain a nylon core, and they hold up really well that way....no stretching.

I have 2 pairs of calfskin leathers (Stubben and Amerigo) and they really are the best choice if you're looking for minimal rubbing/discoloration of the saddle flaps.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I find that they do hold up well, and honestly, I wouldn't put anything but calfskin leathers on my saddles....especially after investing in a brand new saddle.

Yes, they are very expensive. My Stubben leathers were $180.00 and the Amerigo leathers were $170.00, but you may be able to find them a bit cheaper than that. Take care of them properly, and they should last a long time....and be less abrasive on your saddle flaps.

Of course, this is simply my opinion/experience. Others may chime in with theirs.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If you're interested in Stubben leathers, take a look at https://www.stubbendirect.co.uk/

I just got a pair of the bonded leathers and they are super soft, and guaranteed not supposed to stretch. Even with international shipping, they were only $99, which is way cheaper than the $150 the same thing costs on Dover.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Gaited Horse Saddles, Tack & Supplies

National Bridle Shop Product Code: 1-5911
"Extra soft drum-dyed stirrup leathers with thin nylon core to provide strength and prevent stretching. Numbered holes, stainless buckles. Imported. Tested to 1000lb breaking strain. Size: 60". Color brown or black.'"

Look into those. There's no pic and I've never seen this item in person. But they might be a good value, but 60" is too long for h/j so you'd need them shortened.

Gary Mundy makes custom stirrup leathers. Google gary mundy leathers. He used to sell on eBay, too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.