The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all! New to the forums, but looking for some insight about rough stock. I currently am a beginning header but have been considering either saddle bronc or bareback riding as well. Only problem is, I’ve heard conflicting answers as to whether it’d work out well for me. I’m 18 years old, 6’1 and around 195 pounds- and I’ve been told that I’m either too tall, or that I’d be fine cause there’s other guys around my height doing it. What are your thoughts? Thank you!

·
Banned
303 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! My opinion is to do what you love no matter what everyone thinks! Follow your dreams!
If you have any questions you can talk to me, or any of the members of the forum. We will be happy to help!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You will probably do better with Bareback just based on height, there are world champs in Bareback around your height. Saddle Bronc favors smaller guys because the thing that keeps their seat (and gets a higher score) is the timing of setting their feet at the shoulders on the kick and sweeping their feet back to the cantle on the jump. As a taller guy on a quick horse that is just naturally harder to do.

The main thing with either is being very fit, strong and lean. Consider it basically impossible to make a good ride on a horse that bucks good while 20 lbs over weight. Your time and dedication to your fitness routine is as important as getting on lots to practice horses.

That said go to a good school and try them both. Stay away from those people that talk big but you've never seen them ride, loads of em and the advice is useless. If there is a local practice pen that bucks horses they may be a good place to hang out and ask questions. I'd still highly recommend a good school put on by a pro to get started in any case.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Your height should be fine. Long legs are good for either bareback or saddle bronc riding. You can reach out and spur better. Short guys are generally bull riders.

However, you do know/understand that bronc riding is a whole lot tougher on your body than roping is...…….right? Before I became a "header", I had thoughts of becoming a saddle bronc rider. That was until a saddle bronc rider friend of mine gave me one of his Rattler ropes. Showed me how to build a loop and swing it. I did it and he was impressed how good I was as a beginner. So, after that, I bought a "heading" Quarter horse, tack, went to a Roping School and on and on.

·
Banned
303 Posts
You will probably do better with Bareback just based on height, there are world champs in Bareback around your height. Saddle Bronc favors smaller guys because the thing that keeps their seat (and gets a higher score) is the timing of setting their feet at the shoulders on the kick and sweeping their feet back to the cantle on the jump. As a taller guy on a quick horse that is just naturally harder to do.

The main thing with either is being very fit, strong and lean. Consider it basically impossible to make a good ride on a horse that bucks good while 20 lbs over weight. Your time and dedication to your fitness routine is as important as getting on lots to practice horses.

That said go to a good school and try them both. Stay away from those people that talk big but you've never seen them ride, loads of em and the advice is useless. If there is a local practice pen that bucks horses they may be a good place to hang out and ask questions. I'd still highly recommend a good school put on by a pro to get started in any case.
Agreed!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts