The Horse Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,799 Posts
My daughter almost always did 6. She would start with flat classes that always included equitation, road hack, English pleasure, and sometimes command. Then she would do one or two hunter classes. If it was really hot, and/or Harley would show signs of tiring, she would scratch the last class. But Harley was a pro, and as an Arab, had stamina like very few horses do. And our shows are always split so that flat classes are in the morning, and jumping in the afternoon so he would get a long break and I would always pay for a stall for the day so he could rest in a quiet, shady spot. I think it depends on the horse.

I think where we advised people to do 3 or 4 is when they are going to their first show with a horse that is inexperienced. My daughter did the same at first - she would go to a schooling show and enter 2 or 3 classes. Only when they got a lot more experienced did they do more. We got better at it, had a routine and knew that Harley could handle it. He is a perfect gentleman off-property no matter what happens (this helped them win many a class when conditions weren't great).

Dressage is different because you can only enter a couple of levels. They did combined tests which is basically eventing without the cross-country portion. So they would do a couple of jump courses, then a couple of dressage tests later. Points were added up to determine winners.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts