The Horse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a Welara (Arab/Welsh) be considered a warmblood??
Thanks

VB

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Bleh, I disagree. Thats like saying every draft cross is a warmblood.
You can disagree but I am almost 100% sure thats the definition. They are technically wbs althought most people today wouldnt call them that.

I didnt know welshes were cold bloods. When I think of welsh I think of a mixed breed, because over here in the us, most of them are.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
It seems to fit the literal meaning of warmblood, but (as you can see) most people wouldn't call them that. This is probably due to the fact that it is not a cross that is often seen competing, being shown, or advertised as a warmblood since it is not the norm to breed warmbloods out of such small stock.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
I suppose on technicality you could say hot + cold = warm

My point was a arabxwelsh, draft cross, etc is not a warmblood as warmbloods have evolved to be bred for specific purposes and generally have to be of a certain quality (Not saying your horse is poor quality by any means. I love crosses).

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I suppose on technicality you could say hot + cold = warm

My point was a arabxwelsh, draft cross, etc is not a warmblood as warmbloods have evolved to be bred for specific purposes and generally have to be of a certain quality (Not saying your horse is poor quality by any means. I love crosses).
what about american warmbloods ? i dont think they have to be of a certain quality, at least i know a bunch that were basically bred by idiots for no good purpose

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
I think most "American Warmbloods" are a joke. They're draft crosses. Some draft crosses are some darn nice horses, but they are not a warmblood. One of the reasons warmbloods are what they are is because people usually weren't breeding all willy nilly to anything that had the parts to do it. As the american warmbloods are now, I think they have a long way to go before they are anything but draft crosses. Bred by idiots for no good purpose other than to get "a warmblood!" or a "sport horse!" is usually the case it seems like

·
Registered
735 Posts
>>>> I didnt know welshes were cold bloods. When I think of welsh I think of a mixed breed, because over here in the us, most of them are.

Actually, the misunderstanding is that there are people in the U.S. who use the term "welsh" as a generic term to refer to most any medium-sized pony.... (but especially if it is a cute grey one, and ridden English, LOL). :lol: :wink:.

When using the word Welsh properly, it refers to an actual breed that has been around quite awhile. There is a healthy population of REGISTERED Welsh ponies and cobs in the U.S.-- here is the American registry for them--
WELSH PONIES & COBS Main Page

Welsh pony Wikipedia page--
Welsh Pony - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And some farms in the U.S. where they are bred and raised--
Family Partners Welsh Ponies
Welsh Ponies, Sport Ponies, Dressage Pony, Hunter, Jumper, Show Ponies, Ponies For Sale - Evans Welsh Ponies/Mt. Dragon Welsh
Welsh Ponies at Heavenly Welsh Pony Farm - Champion Welsh Mountain Ponies and Welsh Cobs-Okarche, OK
Glenhaven Welsh Ponies and Cobs
Gayfields Welsh Ponies .com
RosMel Welsh Pony Farm
Pep's Welsh Ponies
Tide Creek Welsh Ponies and Cobs

If someone is calling a cute medium sized mixed-breed pony a "welsh", they either don't realize Welsh is an actual breed, and/or they figure it looks like one--or is close enough-- just like any app-spotted pony is automatically called a POA whether it actually IS one or not. LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts