The Horse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so does it ever get boring running the same pattern over and over and over again? I'm used to doing different courses and such with eventing so I think I would get pretty bored after running the same cloverleaf pattern at every show. Just a curiousity question more than anything else! Thanks!

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Not at all. Every horse runs it different and every ride you need to be paying attention. The arenas, footing, etc all change and I've been doing barrels since I was 7(?) and they're still a rush for me.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I do a bit of everything with my boy, but when I do barrels. No I don't find it different. The way Chinga runs the course is always different. Barrel racers don't run the course over and over again. Alot of the time is on basic turning and flat work (correct?)

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really was focusing on competitions. Like we do mostly flatwork at home, but at each show, and each different time you go to a show, the jumps are decorated diferently, and the course is changed, so you always have to be on your toes.

Spastic-I see what you are saying about footing and such, I didn't think about that!

·
Banned
200 Posts
Nope for me everytime is different because i have some many different horses to choose from well only 12 but most of the time i ride my friends horses, like ex. at one world show my friend was qualifed and she broke her arm so she asked if i would ride her 5 year old stud and i said sure why not and then she asked the board and they said sure so ever since that day i have ridden almost everyone of her horses and most of my trainer's horses and even some pretty famous horses like Jackyl in roping and team penning! But it never gets boring even when i had to run always on the same horse because you always try to beat the fastest time

·
Registered
175 Posts
Not at all!!! The pattern will always stay the same...but your horse will act different everytime..he may rin a crappy run, or a nice clean run...it's always thrill seeking!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
not at all! barrel racing is awesome, and so intense. its always a competition with yourself to beat your previous time, and to beat your competitions time! the footing and arena does change. its always intense! never a bore!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Agreed with spastic dove. I still get nervous in the alley, or even just working my horse in the exercise arena lol. Its such an adrenline rush, I still love running, it just never gets boring

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds alot like dressge- you do one of 2 or 3 tests, but each time is compleatly different! Thanks guys! I want to maybe run barrels with my paint mare sometime!

·
Banned
200 Posts
yea for me i get sooo pumped i dont even remember anything from the time i enter that alley to the time i make that last turn,

·
Registered
492 Posts
To buddy09, you don't remember your run because you are holding your breath until you turn the last barrel. Have someone yell "breathe" at you as you run through the alley way, it works, trust me. I used to do the same thing.

Now for the actual question, no it doesn't get boring doing the same pattern over and over, simply because it's never exactly the same. Every arena is different, so every run is different. And you can't beat the friends you make doing it. I've had so many interesting stories happen to me while running barrels or poles, that I wouldn't trade those two patterns for anything.

·
Banned
134 Posts
For me it doesn't get boring at all even when i ride my horses that run the same pattern everytime we step into the arena. I've been running around at rodeos with my dad since i was 6 and i started competing when i was 8, i still get the rush and i can never seem to think bout anything but the pattern.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts