The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I have an 8 year old gelding and he does not like to come to me in the pasture normal he wants to play a game meaning I have to chase him and I don't I normally bring out my little bucket with feed only thing is he never did that where I had him before we were out at my grandpas he has done it ever since I moved him which I'm not mean to him .. he just won't come to me in the pasture unless I have a feed bucket.. anyone have any suggestions or answers ..

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
There are many threads on here about catching horses that don't want to be caught.

What seems to work best is to walk them down. Don't chase but just keep walking after him. If he stops, you stop for a few seconds then walk towards him.

What happens when you catch him? Do you always work or ride him? Are there times that you just groom him? Do you give him feed before you turn him back out?

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
He's trained you to bring him food for being naughty/disrespectful.

Best thing to do is make the right thing easy, wrong thing hard. Wrong would be running away from you.. so make them trot away from you. If they stand and let you approach, all pressure off.

·
Registered
49,754 Posts
at the new place, are there more horses that he is turned out with? if he now has herd mates, you are less important than yoiu were before, in comparison, I mean.

there really ARE a lot of threads on how to catch a hard-to-catch horse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well there used to be tons of horses before I moved him and I haven't feed him ever since I did move him now my grandpa does and he has a horse and I never chase him and I don't always work or ride him its really confusing there is some stuff he won't let me do since he's a rescue and I have only had him almost three years but before I moved him all I had to do was call his name and he would come running

·
Registered
49,754 Posts
so there is only one other horse in the jpasture with him? he is very attached to that one other horse? instead of being in a herd? is this the situation.?

mayvbe you need to explain things better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so there is only one other horse in the jpasture with him? he is very attached to that one other horse? instead of being in a herd? is this the situation.?

mayvbe you need to explain things better.[/
QUOTE]

Well he is really attached to other horse but normally on.a regular day we don't have problems catching the other one but my horse we have to chase I think its because I'm not feeding him my grandpa is now feeding him and will come to my grandoa but he wont come to me ever since I haven't fed him
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
Sounds like he doesn't think you're worth being with unless for food. I agree with the 'walking down' method, although if there is the opportunity to drive him into a smaller paddock/large yard(even if you make one in the corner of the paddock with hot tape), I'd tend to start with this, to make it easier & quicker. Keep (a little) pressure on him when he's moving away, quit the pressure when he stops, etc.

I would definitely quit with the feed bucket, but make sure when he finally comes/allows you close, you have an effective positive reinforcement(reward). This can be a treat in your pocket, a good scratch if he really likes it, etc. Make a point of being a good leader & also nice to be with, regardless of food.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
He no longer associates you with food so he has no interest in you. I'm not saying that to get the same horse back you need to feed him. It would help though. It doesn't have to be his normal amount but maybe a handful or half of a scoop before you turn him back out. At first do it every time you catch him. When he gets easy to catch, cut it back to every other time.

I know some things do take more time with different horses, especially with a horse that was rescued. However, he no longer is a rescue. Quit treating him like one and he will be a normal horse. 3 years is longer than enough time for him to get over any issues from being rescued. If you are unsure or don't know how to fix his issues, get someone to help you. Using the excuse that he's a rescue isn't helping him any. It's just keeping him as a rescue and keeping him from being a normal horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
531 Posts
How much time do you spend with him other then riding and working? IMO, most horse owners spend far to much time working and riding and not just spending time in the pasture with our horses. Try just going out into the pasture with him pull grass and feed him, take a treat with you from time to time, talk to him, groom him, just walk around the pasture with him. I know others have said stop feeding him, and I would agree no more bucket of food to get him to come up to you, work on "walking him down" for sure but when you have the time go spend 30 or more just being in the pasture with him.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I agree with others. Our mare is pretty easy to catch because she doesn't know what we're going to do. We mix it up all the time. Sometimes we just go out in the pasture and love on her. Sometimes we bring a treat. Sometimes we catch her and lead her to another area with better grass to graze. Sometime we catch her and she gets a "spa day". And of course we catch her to ride too. :)

I always carry a halter, so she doesn't associate the halter with work. It's just part of me. Also, I never chase her. I call her name, get her attention then just wait with my eyes down or looking away. (Just like when I'm lunging). This is her signal that she can approach me. I may take a few steps toward her, but I do not chase her. I want her to come to me. Once she is close enough, I give her a few scratches and toss the lead over her neck. Then we do whatever we need to do.

That's what works for us.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
531 Posts
In the Job I have; in the summer, we have to catch horses every day we have new horses come to our place from time to time and a lot of these new horses are hard to catch. I train my summer staff to catch one horse at a time once you start to catch a horse you don't stop until that horse is caught. It might take two or three people to catch a hard horse but after about a week of being caught everyday the horse starts to get easier and easier to catch. If you try to catch a horse and it runs away and you give up you just taught that horse to not be caught. I have spent hours catching one horse going around and around but the horses learn once he starts he doesn't give up.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't know if this will work but horses are naturally curious and it might take a while for him to become curious enough but maybe just sit around the pasture and do your own thing and when he comes to you treat him. One of my horses did this for a while. I did this and it worked for him. Hope it works!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
This has worked EVERY time for me:

It works better if the horse is in a small paddock, but I have used it in a large field as well.

When the horse doesn't come to you, click cluck and swing the rope: make them run!! When the stop, stop and come at them to their wither. Stretch your had out as an invitation to ask "can I come be friendly?" If they stretch their nose out and acknowledge you, try to come closer....if they turn away...MAKE THEM RUN!!!

Eventually they learn it's much nicer and easier to come get some lovin's :) <3

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.