The Horse Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told today a farrier scooped out the center around the frog of a horses hoof! Its the first time I have ever seen that done. Usually the hoof is trimmed and then filed. The horse is uncomfortable now. I was told she woukd be for a few days maybe weeks. Why would this be done???
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
If your horse wasn't lame before the farrier came, it definitely shouldn't be after. The sulcus, the split between the heel bulbs can be cleaned out, carefully but that still shouldn't create a sore horse.

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
I was told today a farrier scooped out the center around the frog of a horses hoof! Its the first time I have ever seen that done. Usually the hoof is trimmed and then filed. The horse is uncomfortable now. I was told she woukd be for a few days maybe weeks. Why would this be done???
Posted via Mobile Device
I am not sure I understand your post. Do you mean he cleaned it or he trimmed it out? Did he not trim the hoof wall? Either way, like saddle said, if he wasn't uncomfy before,.....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is it possible that the part he 'scooped out' was infected with thrush?

When we got our pony, she had bad feet that had only gotten rare, sporadic care for 3 years. Most of the ponies had feet that looked like elf shoes because they stuck out so far in front. She'd also been kept in a small paddock with several other ponies and had never been outside of that paddock. Her frogs were a mess. Our farrier showed me how to soak her feet before cleaning them so that I could work on them daily until they improved without hurting her good tissue. I was amazed at how much dead frog scrapped away after that first soak. Her frogs before and after looked completely different in shape and everything else. She was never sore after this was done though. Shes got great feet now btw. =)

I'm inexperienced and agree that your horse shouldn't be sore afterwards...but I'm wondering if the farrier was trying to remove infected, dead flesh and went too deep?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your horse wasn't lame before the farrier came, it definitely shouldn't be after. The sulcus, the split between the heel bulbs can be cleaned out, carefully but that still shouldn't create a sore horse.
I think I need to find a new farrier!! I'm so upset! Honey has been thru a lot of B.S since I adopted her she has been in BLISS♥ the last thing I will let happen is someone cause her anymore pain :(
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I need to find a new farrier!! I'm so upset! Honey has been thru a lot of B.S since I adopted her she has been in BLISS♥ the last thing I will let happen is someone cause her anymore pain :(
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it wasn't just cleaned out he scraped it out? Apparently all the horses that see him, afterwards they aee sore! I think ill bring my own farrier into the boarding stable
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I think my farrier has cleaned up the sides of the frog. But without seeing what he did I would have no clue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The sole. ..I called her previous farrier today and she's coming out to the stable to check her out and give her some padded boots for comfort, maybe it will help. She will be taking care of honeys hoofs from now on:) she use to be her farrier before I started boarding her. Heard nothing but good about this new guy from the stable owner, I took his word. BIG MISTAKE!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Some farriers will remove some old sole. Sounds like this one removed too much.

You can remove some, until you get to the waxy part. Crumbly sole is dead and can be cut out. Waxy is still the live sole. Same with the frog. You can cut some out but you can also cut too deep.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some farriers will remove some old sole. Sounds like this one removed too much.

You can remove some, until you get to the waxy part. Crumbly sole is dead and can be cut out. Waxy is still the live sole. Same with the frog. You can cut some out but you can also cut too deep.
Posted via Mobile Device
He definitely went to deep, another boarder told me that he told her he was doing it because the hoof grows faster in the spring???
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am no where near a hoof expert and depend completely on my trimmer to keep my horses feet trimmed properly BUT I have never ever seen the point to cutting out sole and I don't want anyone chopping on my horses sole, not even dead sole.
Seems to me if the sole is there it is there for a reason and will turn loose when ready.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
He definitely went to deep, another boarder told me that he told her he was doing it because the hoof grows faster in the spring???
Posted via Mobile Device
They can grow faster in the spring but that is not a reason to take extra out ahead of time.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They can grow faster in the spring but that is not a reason to take extra out ahead of time.
Posted via Mobile Device
I completely agree ....this guy is a real piece of work! He will NEVER touch my horse again! I've already let the owner of the stable have a piece of my mind...he won't give me the farriers phone number. I will make sure I have a word with him the next time he's around.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I completely agree ....this guy is a real piece of work! He will NEVER touch my horse again! I've already let the owner of the stable have a piece of my mind...he won't give me the farriers phone number. I will make sure I have a word with him the next time he's around. This whole deal with tge farrier has got me wondering if I should move honey. Which I really hate to do because she is literally only 4 min away from me and because of that I am abke to be with her every single day and take care of her.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 18 of 18 Posts