The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since its Thanksgiving, the vets are closed and I need help identifying some spots on my horse. About a week ago I noticed that my 13 year old gelding had little bumps all over his body. At first they looked like mosquito bites but now they are a little bigger. The spots are all over his body and crusty but you cannot see them in pictures because the hair is still covering them. Where the scabby spots are located along his mane, the hair has started to come out. Im wondering what this may be and if this could be the reason to why he cannot keep weight on?

·
Registered
692 Posts
A mare I used to lease had this same problem, especially in the summer. In her case the little bumps were hives. We gave her Benadryl until the vet could get out, which did help, but once the vet had a look at her he prescribed Dexamethasone. This helped her a ton! Her hives were nearly all gone within 24 hours after the first dose.

Good luck with your horse! =)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since its Thanksgiving, the vets are closed and I need help identifying some spots on my horse. About a week ago I noticed that my 13 year old gelding had little bumps all over his body. At first they looked like mosquito bites but now they are a little bigger. The spots are all over his body and crusty but you cannot see them in pictures because the hair is still covering them. Where the scabby spots are located along his mane, the hair has started to come out. Im wondering what this may be and if this could be the reason to why he cannot keep weight on?
There are so many scabs that cover his entire body. The only place that doesn't have them is his legs, under his belly, mane and on his face,

Attachments

·
Registered
9,837 Posts
As usual I can't see the pics. - it's my system:neutral:

Rain rot doesn't cover the entire body.

It sounds more like an allergic reaction to something.

Please call the vet today and get a proper diagnosis ------ then let us know what the vet said:D

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
My 4-year-old gelding had something similar this past summer. A couple over his back but mostly on his hindquarters. It was the strangest thing. Weren't really bug bits but we had not gotten a tremendous amount of rain or anything. I'd pick them all off once in a while to "clean it up" and then put some ointment on the spots every day. They eventually cleared up.

However, it never hurts to have your vet take a look! They'll know more with your specific demographic, seasons, and what might be "going around".

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
It appears to be a skin infection. At this time of year you may not be able to do much bathing to help clear it up, so you need to focus on grooming to remove the scabs and getting rid of them. Be sure to clean your brushes well too--a mild bleach solution should help remove any bacteria and fungi from your tools.

Then focus on his diet. Skin conditions are typically secondary to chronically damp conditions (even daily sweating) and a poor diet. You need to ensure that you are meeting your horse's need for a balanced diet by feeding a good forage and supplemental feed designed to go with that forage.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Throw some MTG (https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/shapleys-original-mtg-6238?utm_source=paidfeeds&utm_medium=froogle&utm_content=tes&utm_campaign=2109694710&cm_mmc=paidfeeds-_-froogle-_-tes-_-2109694710&cm_mmc=google-_-shopping%20|%20nb%20|%20tes-_-16238-_-&utm_source=cpc&utm_medium=google&utm_content=Shopping%20|%20NB%20|%20TES&utm_campaign=16238&utm_term= on it. It clears up most skin infections and helps the hair grow back. This stuff is available in most tack stores or farm stores, or check out Amazon for fast shipping. Lasts forever and works on pretty much anything you want.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Just be aware that MTG is more likely to cause skin reactions that many other topicals. Especially if your horse is out in sunlight.

A betadine solution would always be my first choice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.