The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know that another thread has been started about rain rot, but I wanted to get some more specific answers. I think my donk has rain rot on her neck and I am going to treat it as though it is rain rot, even though I'm not 100% sure what it is. But, I have a couple questions for y'all.
1. I know for sure she has rain rot on her neck cause her skin is tough and the hair is coming out, but I'm not sure if it's rain rot elsewhere on her body. Her hair is beginning to look like it, so I think I will treat her neck and a couple other spots I'm concerned about. My question is, if I treat a spot that doesn't have rain rot, will it affect anything? Will it cause the hair to fall out or something?
2. Is it contagious? I will be checking the other donk for signs of rain rot, but what are the odds that she'll get it? They live in the same pen in the same conditions, so would she not already have it seeing as Lilly has it?
3. I was thinking of supplementing them with Vitamin A, as @horselovinguy's quote from the other thread suggested. Should I also apply Listerine? I would be really interested to see if just supplementing with Vitamin A will cure it, but I don't want to hurt Lilly by waiting for longer if the Vitamin A doesn't work.
4. What actually causes rain rot? Why would she get it now when there's been pretty much the same weather all year? It warmed up quickly after being pretty cold, but there was no rain, and all snow that was on her is melted and her coat is dry by the end of every day.

Thank you so much for your help!!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Ok, I am going to answer these one at a time :)

1- No, it shouldn’t hurt anything (or the way I treat it doesn’t, I’m not sure about other treatments but most should be fine).
2- Yes, it can be contagious, but mostly only through touch— so you might want to bring something antibacterial with you to spray your hands down before you pet the other donks, and if you groom the donkeys (do people groom donkeys?) you would want to be careful to only use this particular donkey’s brushes on that donkey, and not use it on others, and disinfect once she’s better, to prevent cross contamination.
3- Both shouldn’t hurt anything.
4- People argue about whether it’s a bacteria or a fungus or something else entirely. Who knows. Antibacterial things seem to kill it though. As to how she got it, that’s a good question, if it hasn’t been wet. I don’t know.

Reactions: AbbySmith

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!!:)
Okay, I'm gonna get some oral Vitamin A, and some Listerine when I'm in town tomorrow. I'll start by giving both the girls Vitamin A for a week and see if it makes a difference. If it does, great. If not, I'll apply the Listerine.
I know you go 50/50 with the Listerine and water, but then do I pour it onto them? Or like rub it on with a cloth? How do I apply it?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Thank you!!:)
Okay, I'm gonna get some oral Vitamin A, and some Listerine when I'm in town tomorrow. I'll start by giving both the girls Vitamin A for a week and see if it makes a difference. If it does, great. If not, I'll apply the Listerine.
I know you go 50/50 with the Listerine and water, but then do I pour it onto them? Or like rub it on with a cloth? How do I apply it?
I use a squirt bottle but anything works. If you use a cloth you may lose a lot that the cloth just absorbs though.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need your help! Lol! I was told that listerine will be found at a grocery store,not a let store or feed store. So I searched for listerine on one of the grocery store websites, and it came up with listerine mouthwash. Is that what you're talking about? I kinda thought it was like some sort of medicine or something. Is it actually just mouthwash? Lol! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yup, just mouthwash. Antibacterial mouthwash. The fact that it is antibacterial is why it kills rain rot.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ooooh. Okay! Sounds good! I'll grab some today! Thanks!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts