The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used Quitt with their horses and have you had success with it? I have a beaver horse who chews like crazy if she's stalled/dry lotted. I think it's more of a boredom issue than a lack of minerals, she gets a vitamin supplement daily and has 24/7 access to a mineral block which she uses regularly, but I thought it might be worth trying anyway. She has literally eaten through a rounded fence board, so its gotten out of hand. Somehow the BO doesn't seem that concerned about it, he has talked about putting up electric wire on the fence to stop her, but hasn't gotten around to it. It annoys me to no end though.

So, if you have used Quitt what has your experience been?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
Is she getting free choice hay? Lack of roughage will cause wood eating also. I have never used the supplement quitt heard of people who have and said it worked.

My horses are eating their way out of the corral going through a rail or 2 a night. Thats with 24/7 hay so lack of roughage isnt their excuse.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Most horses that eat wood with a purpose are deficient in Calcium (Ca). Most mineral 'blocks' are merely 'trace mineral salt'. Trace minerals are 'micro minerals' that are seldom if ever missing in a diet. They only keep a horse from licking enough salt, so plain white salt blocks are much better. Trace mineral blocks contain no Ca, Phosphorus (P) or Magnesium (Mg). These are known as 'macro minerals' and are the ones most often out of balance.

If you feed predominantly grass or grass hay and grain products, Ca is always deficient and P is always missing as is Mg. This makes horses eat wood, lick dirt and eat bark off of trees.

You can save your fences in the short-term by cutting pieces of Cottonwood, Poplar, Willow or other soft wood. Horses like this will eat them like candy. The best fix is to buy a loose livestock mineral that is high in Ca and low in P. We also like one that is 2% Mg and has a good level of Vitamin A in it. This kind of mineral will correct the imbalance and help overall horse nutrition and condition and save all of your stalls and fences.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Cherie! She is mostly on grass hay and grain, though gets a vitamin/mineral supplement along with her grain. I will have to look and see exactly what's in it, since I can't remember off the top of my head. I will look into adding something to her diet to help her though. While having free choice hay would probably stop it, she gets fat off of air, so it's not really an option. When she has access to the pasture she doesn't chew, but she is locked into a dry lot with her shelter overnight and sometimes part of the day.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Surprised BO doesn't care, but whatever from his end it's not good for her either, you think he'd get that!

No good help, but if you have to I would muzzle her to stop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts