The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had quit for about 2 years until last April. Had a bad night (like 5 cigs) w/ another friend who had recently quit. Smoked on and off for a couple of months until now it's turned into a daily habit.... again :?. So today's my quit date! I wish I was more excited, but right now I'm just ****ed with a killer headache.

I was/am hoping that by posting this thread on here and forcing myself to update it regularly it will help me keep quit. If anyone has some advice I'd love to hear it.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
22,681 Posts
Great idea :D I'm sure you can do it since you've once already managed to do it.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Wow! Good luck!!! I am trying to lose weight so I totally feel your pain... It's a bummer.

The only words of advice I can think of are just to keep at it and don't beat yourself up if you have a slip up. Just keep going. It's a lifestyle change so it isn't going to be easy. There are bound to be slip ups but that's not the end. Just a bump. But if you can do it slip up free, that's awesome!

Maybe try to keep cigarettes out of your hands/purse/sight/etc. A girl I work with is keeping an unopened package in her purse just to remind her not to open them. If it works for her... For me that type of thing would be so much more tempting. But it's an idea..something to think about!

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I threw away all my smokes/lighters and such things. I'm one of those people that cannot have it around. I probably would be ok having a smoke like 2x a year as long as I didn't EVER buy any... Then I'm just screwed. That's why I'm quitting again. Thanks for your suggestions, I really need to remember that I cannot let a slip up turn into smoking.

I'm getting ready to go to bed now. Today was just exhausting. I've had a headache all day, woke up from dream about smoking, and started craving right away. I don't usually smoke until like 3 hours after waking up, so that was a little unusual..

Anyways, I've made it through day 1! Yay me!

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Yay! Day one, down! You can do it :)

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Good for you! do whatever it takes my dear! I really feel sorry for you guys, its always looked like such a hard habit to stop, I couldn't imagine going thru it but good for you for quitting again! keep coming back if thats what helps, we'll be there for yea.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Please, for your family, and youself, stop smoking! Don't let the urge get to you. My mother is 36 years old, and she has already had two heart attacks and a stroke. That's crazy! and the stupid thing is, she still smokes. And so doesn't my brother. D; It's just a horrible thing. And besides that people who smoke smell, no offense to anyone. And usually the smoker can't tell. Do you want to be smelly?! Good luck.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
My grandma, a smoker since she was 10 yrs old(yeah I know crazy huh!) quit for a solid 6mos by "smoking" licorice... She would chew nicotine gum and put a licorice stick in her mouth w/o chewing on it until she started craving really bad. She said it helped her learn to breathe (cause of the hole in the middle) normal again and she could puff" it like a cig and with the gum in her mouth it felt close to smoking until she actually weaned herself off the gum, then she still felt ok because she had the licorice in her mouth and hands all the time, just like a cigarette. It worked great until her dogs ate the licorice she had one day... then she went nutty without it in her hands and mouth, tried a pen but she was used to the licorice already and ended up slipping up and started again...

You just have to force yourself to not think about it. Whenever you feel a craving get moving, walk around your house, do a few pushups, fold laundry, it is just like working with a busy minded colt, keep your mind entertained, do anything to not think about it... You can also set up little milestones for yourself, like every day or week or w/e that you go without smoking, treat yourself, be it with a new magazine or a good starbucks coffee or something you consider a treat. Couple that with keeping moving when you crave and you don't have to worry about gaining too much weight.

Good luck be strong.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL, Honeysuga that's a good story. My grams smoked for years. After she quit she became addicted to the gum... :lol: I guess at least you don't get the tar, right?

"You just have to force yourself to not think about it. Whenever you feel a craving get moving, walk around your house, do a few pushups, fold laundry, it is just like working with a busy minded colt, keep your mind entertained, do anything to not think about it... You can also set up little milestones for yourself, like every day or week or w/e that you go without smoking, treat yourself, be it with a new magazine or a good starbucks coffee or something you consider a treat. Couple that with keeping moving when you crave and you don't have to worry about gaining too much weight."

This is really good advice here and what I've been trying to do this time around. I tried to stockpile things to do this week to keep my hands busy. Started up an exercise program last week too. I definitely need to figure out a good "treat" program for myself though. The last time I quit I used Chantix which REALLY helped with the cravings. Unfortunately I don't have insurance or money this time, so I'm trying without. I can do this though, I will do this.

Thanks everyone for your support. I lost my uncle a couple years ago to lung cancer, he was very young (early 40s) and it was very hard to watch. I don't want to put my niece/parents/siblings/friends through that. It's hard though even when you know all the statistics. I mean every smoker out there knows how bad it is for you. That's not the problem. The problem is dealing with the pain (because it is painful) of quitting. Frankly this is the most difficult addiction I know of, both from personal experience (I have a little bit of a checkered past) and from some people very close to me that have dealt with some very serious addictions.

Anyways, day 2 is on track and I thank you all for your help and suggestions!!

·
Super Moderator
22,681 Posts
My grandma, a smoker since she was 10 yrs old(yeah I know crazy huh!) quit for a solid 6mos by "smoking" licorice... She would chew nicotine gum and put a licorice stick in her mouth w/o chewing on it until she started craving really bad. She said it helped her learn to breathe (cause of the hole in the middle) normal again and she could puff" it like a cig and with the gum in her mouth it felt close to smoking until she actually weaned herself off the gum, then she still felt ok because she had the licorice in her mouth and hands all the time, just like a cigarette. It worked great until her dogs ate the licorice she had one day... then she went nutty without it in her hands and mouth, tried a pen but she was used to the licorice already and ended up slipping up and started again...
I've heard that besides a nicotine hook your're also often hooked on that habit. So yea, having a substitutive, more harmless habit can be also one way. One of my teachers once told that her son managed to quit smoking when he changed cigarettes to candies. Always when he wanted to have a cigarette, he had a candy. Even I don't know if having candies all the day is so healthy either :lol:. But everyone can develop a habit which suits him or her the best.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
My mom had a whole bunch of heart attacks because of smoking! And she was around 35. Not sure how old you are, but that is very young!! What she did was eat strawberry licorice (sp?) But she didnt really realize it at the time until she talked to the doctor about it, but he said that MANY people who quit smoking pick up other habits. and 'mentally' the way you can hold licorice, it kind of resembles a smoke. Maybe try that? Im not saying to become a candy-hollic, but every time you feel the need to smoke, you could eat some yummy licorice. =) Sounds dumb, sure, but at the same time, it worked for my mom, maybe it would work for you!

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I would personally substitute candy addiction for cigarettes any day.... Lol, kinda ironic though, cavities or cancer?

·
Chat Moderator
3,744 Posts
good luck, it might help to replace that bad habit with a good habit.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't have much (or any) of a sweet tooth though, so I wonder if the candy would help? I can see the licorice helping with the physical need to do something with my hands. Maybe a stress ball?

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Try every single thing that pops into your head. No matter how stupid any of it might seem or how embarrassing, do it anyway, it will definitely keep your mind occupied.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I agree with the above poster. My idea (the licorice) may be a start to thinking of other ways. I would try everything you can think of, no matter how dumb they may sound.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Just for fun I will get you started hehe

Great things to try whn you get a craving-

-Do the do(location permitting)
-Workin' those abs
-Drink a huge glass of water
-run around the house
-take a hot shower
-walk to the barn and say hi to the "kid/s"
-grab a basketball and work on some trick dribbling
-write a poem
-paint your nails
-remove said paint
-vacuum the living room
-make a lasagna(but don't eat it, save for dinner, ok maybe a bite or two)
-sketch your horse
-chew a toothpick
-go swimming(weather permitting)
-drive around the block
-do kegels (hehe)

Feel free to add any you can think of peoples!

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sweet! Those are great ideas! I'm going to print that off as soon as I get to work.

These are the other things I've been doing too:

-yoga
-hop on for a quick ride
-clean tack
-clean the barn
-brush the dog/horses
-practice my goose call (esp in the car)

I had more, but can't remember right now. Last night was pretty tough, but I made it through. My boyfriend is being really supportive of this, so that helps a lot. On to day 3! Pretty soon I'll be over the worst of the cravings. Then I'll just have to deal with the momentary random strong urges.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts